Chapter 55

"I'll help you Sasha", you said as you bowed down to her feet to help her tie her shoelaces. She had almost fully recovered, but were to avoid any unnecessary movements of her head.

You were waiting for the ceremony to start, where the twelve of you alongside the 199 fallen Scouts were to be honoured for your work and sacrifices reclaiming the lost land. You would've waited with Marco, but he was standing with Jean and Floch, the last one mentioned being someone you were trying to avoid. Ever since you came back from Shiganshina he had been giving you uncomfortable and annoyed stares, and you had too much on your plate to try and resolve whatever it was with him. Maybe you'd make peace later if you felt like it.

"Hey, you heroes of the wall", a feminine voice called out from behind you, and you turned your head to look their way. It was Hitch.

"Hitch... You came?", Floch said surprised.

"I just came to see you guys receive your medals"

"I see...". A silence ensued, no one really sure how to address the elephant in the room, but Jean tried anyways.

"Marlo was...", he started, stopping as he frantically tried to find the right words.

"...brave all the way till the end", Marco finished his sentence and Jean gave him an appreciative look. "Right Floch, tell her", he urged Floch to speak.

"Yeah... Marlo Freudenberg was an urgent recruit, just like me. But he managed to bring us recruits together. The situation was hopeless and the Scouts on the verge of ruin. We thought all was lost and were stricken with fear. But he... Only he inspired us". You smiled at his words as they summed up the person Marlo was perfectly. You wished you had more time to get to know him better. Hitch smiled slightly too, before it faltered.

"Yeah?"

"He was an amazing person--", Floch stressed

"I know. That's why... That's probably why he never listened to me", she said. Her gaze low.

"But in the end... I'm sure he regretted being there", Floch added, and Hitch's eyes widened.

"Thanks", she stiffly said, turning around. "I'll laugh if you screw up the ceremony", she added in her usual snarky tone, however a slight quiver lacing it. She walked away, and you looked over at Floch with furrowed brows. That last bit clearly made her upset.

"Hey! Why did you do that?", Jean jabbed at him.

"Because... Someone has to tell the truth!", he looked back at Jean with a stern expression, before aiming it over at Armin. You could see Armin's demeanour deflate from behind him.

"I know how desperate you were to revive Commander Erwin-"

"That's right", Floch interrupted him, taking a few steps towards him. "It should have been the Commander, not you. I'm not the only one who thinks that", you quickly got up from the ground and walked to stand beside Armin. You didn't like his accusing tone. "We all do. Everyone who reads the report thinks the same thing: Why wasn't Erwin the one picked?". As you watched Armin's expression falter into a hurt one, your heart physically ached for him. He was having a hard time enough as it is.

"How can you even say that to him?!", you couldn't hold it back- not this time, and you took a step towards him, shielding Armin from his gaze.

"Yeah, what the hell do you know about Armin?", Eren said angry.

"Nothing at all", Floch said with a jaded laugh. "I'm not his childhood friend, nor are we chums either". Floch's stance got more aggressive now. "But I can tell you why Armin was chosen. Because you three and Captain Levi brought your emotions into it. You thought the injection was all yours and made a totally irrational decision! Basically, it was too hard for you to let go of someone important to you!", He shifted his gaze over to you now, and you glared back at him. "Like you, Y/N. You act like you care for all living beings, when in hindsight you don't care what happens to people that are not these seven individuals surrounding us. I bet you're ecstatic Mabel got killed so you don't have to trouble that pretty head of yours with plans of messing up her life even more than you did, you little twofaced—"