Chapter 60

(If you like listening to music while reading, I suggest listening to one of the instrumental versions of "Memory Lane", "Friendships" and "Liberio at Night" from the s4 soundtrack while reading this, along with one of the more serious/darker ones from the soundtrack when those parts of the chapter comes. Enjoy:) )

_____________________________

Already the next day you left for Marley together with Jean, Sasha, Marco, Connie, Moblit and a handful of other Scouts. You had to be separated into groups and arrive at different times so no suspicions would be raised. Since you were part of the first group, you had to go undercover and prepare prepicked bases with your equipment, so that gearing up right before the attack would be easy. The last group weren't even to arrive in Liberio until the day of the attack.

Sasha was over the moon excited for the fact that she'd have a few days to roam the marleyan market once again, but that was about the only thing to look forward to. It was one thing to worry about the safety of the ones you loved, but it also felt wrong to launch an attack that would wind up killing hundreds of civilians and innocent lives... Of course not everyone shared your mentality on that, Floch and his brainwashed accomplices being big advocates for this being a revenge plan and that it is what the people of that nation deserved. But the rest who had a brain felt sick to the stomach. This seemed no different to what they did to you all those years ago, breaking through the wall. This made you no better than them.

"We should split up into pairs or go alone once we're there", Jean suggested as you watched Liberio appear in the horizon. "We know the area better now, and walking around in a big group like last time is bound to attract some eyes".

"Yeah, I agree", Marco said, leaning against the railing of the boat.

"I'll go with Lima and her squad to make sure we transport the two crates with supplies safely to miss Azumabito's estate", Moblit informed you while checking the forged permit for the crates you brought from Paradis. "Jean's squad and you guys will scout the city and see if you find out anything useful. We have until Friday to get everything set up". He looked over at Liberio in the distance. "Luckily, another set of teams arrives tomorrow", he mumbled, mostly to himself to calm his nerves. There was a lot to prepare, and he was in charge of seeing it get done properly. Today was the only day you wouldn't have to spend your time setting up bases at the outside of the Eldian Internment Zone.

...

Jean had decided to venture off alone. Sasha grabbed you before anyone could protest, leaving Connie and Marco to pair up. However, before she could snatch you away entirely, you managed to give Marco and Connie some pocket change, remembering you were the one Levi had entrusted with the coin purse. Luckily, Jean had been smart enough to ask you for some coins before you left the ship, if not he wouldn't have had anything seeing he had already walked off.

Sasha tugged on your arm excited, and you waved Connie and Marco goodbye in a sheepishly manner, to which they returned with a small chuckle. Sasha's excitement over food never ceased to amaze any of you.

Walking around the city square, everyone had their noses stuck in newspapers. You were curious as to what they were so amazed by. Quickly buying a pretzel and stuffing it into Sasha's mouth so she would be occupied for at least half a minute, you walked over to a newsstand, dumping a handful of coins into the man's hands. He happily gave you the paper, and you flashed him a thankful smile before returning to Sasha. It hadn't even been fifteen seconds and she had already devoured the dinnerplate-sized pretzel.

You continued to walk, both intently watching the random page you opened at.

"I forgot we can't read it", you whispered annoyed as the realisation hit you, staring at the strange letters covering the pages.