Chapter 37

"Try not to walk in a cluster. We'll stand out. Eren and Historia, just walk normal", Levi calmy said, looking straight ahead.

The heavenly smells of freshly baked goods came from all directions as you made your way down the streets of Trost, food stands buzzling with townsfolk on either side of you. You slowed down to put a little more distance between yourself and Mikasa and Sasha who were walking in front of you. Marco inched a bit closer to you on your right side, everyone making sure to keep an eye out for anything suspicious while still looking casual.

"Why is the royal family's flag hanging everywhere?", Connie asked from behind you.

"Oh! Today must be the anniversary of the King's coronation!", Sasha suddenly remembered, turning her head to look in your direction. "Once a year, they hand out a haul of rations", she eagerly informed all of you, visibly trying to supress her bubbling excitement over free food, as well as disappointment over the fact that you wouldn't be able to get a hold of any.

"We'll begin handing out rations!", a pair of MP soldiers declared to a big crowd while standing on top of huge crates that acted like a stage. "King Fritz has heard of Trost District's hardship and will donate the royal family's reserves!". The crowd around them started gasping in delight and awe. "There's enough for everyone! Line up orderly!". You rolled your eyes.

"Where was this version of the king when Wall Maria fell?", you muttered annoyed under your breath, careful not to speak too loudly. It's not like you were angry at Trost for receiving help, that was the least the king could have done for them, but you knew he only did it because of peer pressure from his advisors. He needs the people to be in his favour. Marco's hand subtly found yours with a careful and thoughtful motion. Still looking over at the soldiers you intertwined your fingers with his, letting him know you were fine. People started voicing out their praise and love for the king.

"What a king! He sure is generous!", Sasha exclaimed in awe, you had all stopped now to spectate the crowd. You furrowed your brows at her words, though you knew she didn't know any better. This was nothing but a publicity stunt from the king's part. He doesn't actually care.

"He's got more than he knows what to do with. People are weak, especially when baited with food", Levi simply said, starting to walk again. You all followed, you feeling content that someone else could see through the King's act. You continued walking down a narrow alleyway, leading to a new, more open street. After walking further down the street, Levi stopped. With a sharp turn of his head, he looked at you all sternly.

"Watch out! Behind us!", he exclaimed. Marco had already turned around the second Levi did and saw what was coming, pulling you into his embrace before he jumped out of the way. It was a horse and carriage, rapidly trying to plough you down. The others got out of the way at the last second, everyone shakingly getting back up from the ground once the carriage had passed.

"Armi—", Sasha started exclaiming, before stopping herself. "I mean, Crista and Eren!", she corrected herself. "They got snatched away again!".

'Close one Sash...'

No one spoke a word as you silently started the operation. You spilt up, some running and some using their gear. It would be too suspicious if everyone did both. You, Levi and Marco made your way across the roof-tops, following Sasha, Connie and Mikasa who tailed the wagon down on the ground.

"I hope Armin will be okay...", you voiced your concern. "Jean too, who knows who we're up against. But I just know if it is anyone as nasty as those corrupt MP's, being a girl is not ideal". The others didn't look at you, but you could see it on their faces that they had been thinking the same thing.