Chapter 12

'Remember Y/N, one meter across, ten centimetres wide'

You went over the points to kill a titan most efficiently in your head, as the seven of you were standing on a rooftop, scouting out for titans.

"Team 34, advance! Support the vanguard!", a pair of Garrison soldiers ordered.

"Okay! Let's go!", Eren yelled, raising his blade. You all yelled in unison as you made your way off the roof. The feeling of freedom was present as always as you zipped through the town. You switched between running on rooftops and using your gear, creating a smooth and continuous flow in movement as your group made your way towards the vanguard. In the distance you could spot titans spread across the outer part of town.

"Look at all those titans!", Mina exclaimed. You remembered that titans were a new sight for all of them, except for Eren and Armin. You shook away the sudden feeling of terror as you recalled the last time you came face to face with them.

'You can't afford to panic now Y/N! Remember, the people in this town are all counting on you to stay calm and collected!'

"The vanguard has been annihilated!", Thomas exclaimed in shock. That meant that you and your fellow cadets were now the only ones standing between the titans and the civilians. You tightened your grip around your handle.

"An abnormal!", Eren screamed, as a titan jumped out of nowhere. You all abruptly changed directions, barely managing to land safely on a rooftop. You turned back to look at the titan that just tried to attack you. It had its face crushed into the bell tower. As it peeled its head back you gasped.

'Thomas?'

It was indeed Thomas, half his body hanging out of the titans mouth. He was still conscious and aware of what was going on; however, he didn't manage to speak.

"Nooo!", you shrieked. You watched as the titan proceeded to swallow him whole. Armin grabbed your arm, preventing you from charging straight at it.

'No... he was supposed to become a leader. H-he was not supposed to die like this...'

The titan wandered off as if nothing happened, while the rest of you stared at it in shock of what you just witnessed. You felt sick to your stomach. Although you have seen people being eaten before, seeing someone you knew well- a friend, a comrade. It was a whole different kind of pain.

"How dare you?!", Eren screamed and charged ahead.

"Eren!", Armin yelled.

"Stop, you can't go alone!", Mina exclaimed.

You and Armin jumped off the roof simultaneously to follow him, the others doing the same.

"I will avenge Thomas! I won't let you get away!", Eren screamed, rapidly manoeuvring through the street.

"Eren wait up!", you yelled, using everything you have learned throughout the years to increase your speed. You were now about an arm's reach from him.

You noticed it too late. A titan jumped up from the street below, biting Eren's left foot off. The momentum launched Eren up towards you and the impact sent you flying over to the other side of the building. You hit the roof, rolling off onto the ground. You felt your vision darken the same way it did after your dad pushed you away from the boulder.

"Eren!", Armin's scream was the last thing you heard.

~

*3rd person POV*

"Oi! Hey! Armin!, Connie said, trying to shake Armin into responding. Armin seemed to zone back in again. "Are you awake? Are you okay?", Connie tried asking again. "What about your team?".