Chapter 45

Your eyes fluttered open as a streak of sunlight hit your eyelids. The first thing you noticed was a soft, floral scent, and you turned you glanced over to the corner of the room seeking the source of the lovely smell. On top of a rustic dresser sat a vase of lavenders that you in your drowsy state missed the previous night. You squinted your eyes once you noticed a little piece of parchment placed underneath the flowers. Stretching your half-awake body, you got up from the bed, walking over to the dresser to get a closer look at the note.

Y/N

I'm so glad you wanted to come visit my home for the week.

I picked this bouquet for you. It's my hope these lavenders from my garden will help soothe and calm your sleep, as I've heard you struggle with anxious thoughts and dreams at night.

Don't hesitate asking me if you need anything. I'm always available.

~ Louisa

You almost choked up as you read it. From what you've heard, you didn't expect Marco's mother to be anything less than kind and caring, but this welcome took you by surprise.

'She did this for me? I see where Marco gets his kindness from'

You carefully folded the note and put it back in its place. Quickly, you went through the various drawers of the dresser, trying to get an overview of how Marco organized your clothes, before picking out something to wear for the day.

Peeking outside the window above the dresser, it looked to be a sunny day. You settled for a white, flowy blouse, layering it with a light green ankle-length dress on top. The outfit reminded you a lot of the one you wore the day the titans 'broke through' Wall Rose. You looked down on your right arm, taking the time to properly look at the aggressive, red scar that covered a vast part of your forearm from the titan bite. Subconsciously, you let your hand travel up to your neck, shifting your attention to the slight burn mark that was left there after engaging with the Colossal Titan in Trost.

'At least they healed and doesn't hurt anymore... Lucky Eren, his injuries just fades away after a few hours... Mine become scars that will never fully disappear'

You sighed before putting on the blouse, happy to cover the up the mark on your arm. You were scared of others seeing them, thinking they would probably find them ugly. With your clothes on and hair tamed, you walked out to the living room, catching a whiff of what must be the most delicious food you had smelled for months.

'The food they serve at HQ has gotten a lot better after we made that deal with the Reeves company, but it could never compare to whatever this is!'

You assumed Marco was still sleeping, seeing it was early in the morning and all. Though nervous, you walked into the kitchen to thank his mom for the welcoming gift.

"Ah, good morning Y/N! I hope I didn't wake you up with all this noise", she said once she noticed you entering the room. Now you could see exactly what was the cause of the smell. She was making omelettes and seemed to be baking a fresh loaf of bread; currently rising in the oven.

"Oh no, you didn't disturb me at all", you quickly reassured her with a smile. "I just have a habit of waking up early".

"Good. I take it Marco is still asleep?"

"Yeah, I believe so", you said sheepishly with a slight giggle.

"That boy", she scoffed, a clear smirk hiding underneath her look of disapproval. "Still as difficult to wake up as ever, huh... And I was hoping he'd at least learn to wake up on time after undergoing military training", she huffed with a laugh, which you joined in on. You had yet to discover a way to effectively wake him up, but you were determined to find the most efficient way one day.