Chapter 44

*Marco POV*

"Hey! You guys wait right there!", Historia yelled at two of the orphanage kids running past us. They were giggling, finding 'stressed-out Historia' extremely funny. "Y/N, help me out please?", she asked exhausted, realizing there was no way she could catch up on her own.

"On it!", Y/N answered straight away, leaving Armin, Jean, Eren and myself behind. I watched her run after the others; a huge grin on her face, which was a noticeable contrast to the serious look on Historia's. As the light of the setting sun hit just right from behind them, I couldn't help but smile at the way it illuminated her figure. It felt like I was watching her run through the field in slow motion; her smile, her laugh, her body in motion,- all lighting my heart on fire.

'God, she's pretty'

"Don't you guys run from us!", her voice called out after them, causing a new wave of giggles from the kids. "Listen when we're talking to you!", Historia yelled straight after.

"Isn't this...", Jean started saying, spectating the scene in front of us just like the rest.

"Yeah... Not quite the Queen I was expecting", Armin finished his sentence. Looking back over at the girls, it looked like they had finally caught up, now lifting up one child each. Historia seemed to be doing most the scolding, Y/N mostly helping her keeping them from running away again.

"And it's only been two months since she was crowned. Seems like she's better suited to run an orphanage", Jean continued nonchalantly.

"I think she's doing a great job as a Queen, considering it was an unexpected and spontaneous event. She's already changing peoples lives for the better", I motioned over to the countless orphans, running around and enjoying the fresh evening air.
"Yeah. The people are calling her the Cattle-Farming-Goddess. But in a good way, of course", Armin said with a small smile. Historia and Y/N struggled to get through to them, trying to lecture them on the importance of helping around the ranch instead of just sneaking off whenever.

"So we've finally got a goddess among us. At this rate, no one will remember the chump who plugged up Trost, yeah?", Jean teased smugly, giving Eren the most sarcastic, shit-eating grin I've ever seen. Eren seemed unfazed by him, not even bothering to look his way.

"One of the reasons Historia decided to become queen was to do all this", he replied in a low tone. He seemed to have been using that tone a lot lately... Jean's expression faltered as he realized his attempt on getting under Eren's skin failed miserably.

"This, meaning?". Eren answered Armin by nodding over in the children's direction. I had to stifle a laugh once I realized what had gone down during the few couple of seconds I looked away from her. Y/N was now surrounded by at least seven children, all whom was laying on top of her as she tried to free herself from their giggling bodies. Over to the left some kids were pulling Sasha's hair and the corner of Connie's mouth, while they were trying to carry the heavy crates over to their respective places. No one dared mess with Mikasa though it seemed. That was understandable, her aura oozes 'touch me without consent and you're dead'-energy.

"This, meaning taking care of all the orphans and needy from the underground all the way over to the edge of the walls. When people need help, she said she'll come to their rescue, no matter who or where. That's what Historia wants to do", Eren explained further.

"And God knows it's been a long time coming. This is the kind of treatment you guys should have gotten after Wall Maria fell", I said, picturing  just how much better Y/N and the others could have had it if only the previous king had sacrificed some of the vast space inside the innermost wall, like Historia has now.