Chapter 28

The next morning you woke up hours earlier than the boys, not able to go back to sleep. You figured since breakfast didn't start until a couple of hours you had some time to kill, meaning you could draw some more in your notebook. You didn't really feel like leaving Marco yet, and he looked so cute there he slept beside you.

'Is it weird if I draw him while he's asleep? It's not like I'm going to show it to everybody...'

You decided it would be okay, you could always throw it out if he didn't like it. You grabbed your pencil and started sketching, admiring his looks as you watched him for reference. You were completely mesmerised by him, which is why Jean's whisper startled you so much you almost fell out of the bed.

"Creeping are we?", he whispered sarcastically, and tried to keep his laugh as quiet as possible after witnessing your startled reaction. The sound of the pencil against the paper must have woken him up.

'Damn, he must be a light sleeper then'

"God damn it, Jean!", you hissed quietly, looking up to see his head peeping down at you from the bunk above. He laughed some more, before looking like he realized something.

"Wait... Do you also draw?", he asked astounded, looking at the book in your hands.

"Also? Wait, do you draw?", you asked him. In that case, it was the first time he had ever mentioned it to anyone. He looked flustered.

"Yeah, a little...", he answered, looking over at the wall to prevent you from seeing the pink flush over his cheeks. You didn't understand why he was being so shy about it.

"Can you show me?", you asked eagerly, now excited to be able to talk techniques with another person. Maybe you could teach each other things the other one didn't know. He looked back at you puzzled, probably expected you to tease him for it, not ask him about it.

"Uh, sure thing", he answered, beginning to look quite excited himself. "You wanna go to mess hall and talk until breakfast is served? Then we can show each other in peace", he asked, seeming to want to keep the drawing thing between the two of you. You looked over at Marco, feeling bad for just leaving him. Jean seemed to understand what you were thinking.

"Don't worry, he likes to sleep as long as possible. You probably expected Connie or me to be the reason why the three of us always are the last ones to join you guys for breakfast, but it's actually Marco. Connie and I always choose to wait since we're good friends like that. He's a heavy sleeper, almost nothing can wake him up, so he probably doesn't expect you to wait for him", he explained as you listened intently. You internally awed at this new information about him, looking back down at his soft, peaceful face.

"Okay, let's do it", you told Jean, carefully getting out of Marco's bed, putting on your boots and jacket. "But I would like to freshen up a bit first... Meet me at our table in thirty minutes?", you asked him with a smile. Jean nodded, and with that you left to go take a shower and put on a clean pair of your uniform.

~

"Can I see what you were drawing this morning? I couldn't really see it properly, since you almost fell", Jean asked, teasing you a bit as he always does. You rolled your eyes and self-consciously opened your book to the page of sleeping-Marco. You face heated up as you pushed the book a bit closer to Jean. He took a couple of seconds to look at it, his eyes widening.

"This is actually really good!", he exclaimed, now fully grabbing a hold of the book. "May I?", he motioned at the book, asking if he could look at the other pictures. You nodded, astounded that he was being so respectful and gentle when it came to your art. You wouldn't have expected him, or anyone really, to ask for permission to flip the pages. "Is that from when me and Eren fought last week?", he asked you, looking at a picture of Marco holding Jean back. You giggled and nodded. Jean flipped a couple of pages. "What, when did you even draw this, I didn't even see you do it?!", he asked astonished, looking at a picture you drew of Connie, Sasha and him, nervously sitting on some crates in Calaneth, waiting to departure for the 57th exterior expedition. You shrugged.