Chapter 52

"Yell at him Eren! Don't let Bertholdt get any closer to the wall!"

Eren did as Jean ordered, and let out an ear-ringing roar. Bertholdt stopped dead in his tracks, slowly turning his head around to look in their direction.

"He noticed!"

But just as soon as he had turned towards them, he shifted his gaze away from them, continuing on his way towards the wall.

"What?! That bastard's ignoring us!"

"Hey! What now, Jean?! At this rate..."

"I know!", Jean interrupted Connie frustrated. "Eren! Go stop his lanky legs!". They all grabbed onto Eren tightly as he started to run dead ahead in Bertholdt's direction.

"But still! How the hell are we gonna defeat him?!"

"His gusts of hot steam make our ODM gear useless! Right?!", Sasha chimed in, just as mind boggled as Connie as to how someone as small as them could ever take down someone his size.

"You don't think I know that?! But now, we've got no choice but to try! We've got to figure out his weakness!"

"I'll do it. You guys distract him. Connie, your thunder spear", Mikasa held out her hand towards Connie while eyeing the Colossal Titan.

"R-right!", Connie started fumbling with the spear connected to his gear.

"Armin, we need you to observe him from afar. So quit your moping; we gotta believe there's a way to beat him!". Jean was harsh, but only because he knew it was the only way to get Armin out of this destructive state of mind he was currently in. "Now, scatter!".

They all jumped off Eren's shoulders as he continued running towards Bertholdt's leg. With another roar, he grasped around Bertholdt's ankle, doing everything in his power to push him back.

"He's pushing him back!"

"Go, Eren! Knock him over!", Connie screamed out, but stopped once they all noticed it wasn't Eren who were pushing Bertholdt's foot back; it was Bertholdt preparing to lift his foot to kick Eren away...

They watched in horror as Eren got sent rapidly flying towards the top of the wall, hitting it with a thundering bang as crumbled debris from the wall fell down the vast 50 meter distance before hitting the ground.

"Eren!", Mikasa screamed. Eren seemed to be unable to move, his titan form laying limp across the wall.

"Eren's not moving..." Mikasa said with a low and trembling voice.

"He's not dead! Focus on the monster at hand!", Jean encouraged her, turning to look at Bertholdt closing in. "That might have been pushing it too far... If we run without a plan, that's what happens...", he spoke lowly to himself, looking over at his friends one after the other. "Unless we can somehow turn the tables on him, this recovery operation, all our lives, and the future of humanity will be doomed! Having that said, I'm not about to sit around while we all get slaughtered! Let's go on with the attack!", Jean ended up shouting out to the rest; all five of them manoeuvring towards Bertholdt.

"He doesn't know about the thunder spears yet! Marco, Connie, Sasha and I will distract him! Mikasa, you'll strike in the opening!"

"Roger!", The rest of them confirmed, taking to their places.

"Hey moron! I'll poke your stupid eyes out!", Jean teased loudly.

"You huge idiot!"

"You massive piece of Colossal shit!", Marco and Sasha roared in unison.

Bertholdt didn't react much, only continued to stare right at them. They all waited for Mikasa to strike, hoping, though their attempt at a distraction may have been too obvious, that he still wouldn't expect an attack such as a thunder spear to the neck.