Chapter 51

You all fired at Reiner simultaneously, the power of more than a dozen thunder spears being more than enough to blow his nape clean off. Just like when Eren first transformed, Reiner's body floppingly emerged from the neck, half the top of his head missing...

You stared at him with your mouth agape, not really able to process the possibility that he was actually gone.

"We did it!", Hange's squad members cheered in ecstasy. "We blew his head off!". They were all celebrating; hugging each other as they looked at his limp body with grinning faces. This was all you ever wished for... for 5 years.... Yet, you couldn't move an inch. You couldn't even smile. You didn't even feel the closure you thought you would feel.

'It's like it's too good to be true... After everything I've seen, not even a severed  head is convincing enough. They always find a way to come back and haunt me....'

Jean laughed a in disbelief.

"We did it... You were such a pain in the ass for us. Serves you right, scumbag!"

You didn't even turn to look as you heard Sasha and Connie sniffle to your right, about to fully cry over Reiner's passing.

"What the hell are you guys crying for?!", judging by the sound of it, Jean had grabbed a hold of their clothing, yanking them up off the ground to face him.

"J-jean!", Marco was just about to see how you were doing when Jean's excessive shaking of the dynamic duo had him worried Jean would shake out all the braincells left in those heads of theirs. He hurried over to him, mind set on deescalating the situation.

"This isn't over yet! C'mon, get up! Don't cry! We're the ones who killed him!", Jean's voice got more and more choked up the longer he went on. It was clear that beneath his mask and role of leadership, he felt the same way as the two; trying hard not to show it.

"Hey, Jean... It's okay", Marco helped him release Sasha and Connie carefully, before wrapping an arm around Jean's shoulders, letting him find the comfort he needed to be able to carry on, in his best friend.

You're eyes had still not broken their gaze away from Reiner.

"It's not over! Ready your equipment for the next round!", Hange ordered. This authoritative command, however, were enough to force your body to move again, and you were just about to turn your gaze away when the titan's jaw moved.

"No wa-"

His titan roared with all his might, the scream having the same tone of desperation as he had when he almost lost to Eren after they revealed their identity.

"I fucking knew it was too good to be true", you muttered to yourself as your eyes narrowed. As his scream faded, his titan-vessel fell limp down to the ground. It seemed he were too weak to do anything himself, which would be a good thing, had he not just blown any chance you had at keeping his defeat under the radar for his friends on the other side of the wall.

"Nail him with the thunder spears! We'll just have to blow his body to bits!", Hange commanded, but your focus was elsewhere.

"Armin! Up there!", you pointed up at a tiny speckle in the sky, flying in from the direction of the Beast titan and his mysterious little helper with the crates on its back. He gasped. As expected, he had already thought along the same lines as you, remembering the similar cry for help Reiner made last time.

"Wait! We need to get away from Reiner! Up there! The Colossal Titan is coming!", he pointed in the same direction as you had. "We'll all get blown away!".

You turned at your heels immediately. Whilst almost strutting forwards with determined steps, you grabbed a hold of Sasha and Connie's shirt collars with one hand and Marco and Jean's in the other, yanking them up from their seated positions, giving them the extra push needed to get out of their shocked state. "Go! Now!", you yelled at them as you activated your gear, all of you hurrying away from Reiner as fast as you could.