Chapter 69

Hange woke you and your friends up early the next day, having you help her pack up the campsite. Everyone else except Reiner, Falco and Gabi was eventually woken up by the slight ruckus packing up made and started helping you as well, much to your pleasant surprise. The strained tension between you from the night before had seemed to dull slightly, creating a neutral atmosphere. Once the last crate was packed up and loaded aboard the carriage, it was time to wake the rest.

"Jean, can you?—", you asked, motioning with your head towards to the trio still fast asleep.

"Sure"

You readjusted one of the crates as he walked over to them.

"Wake up", he gently said, shaking Gabi lightly on her shoulder. She sat herself upright, the movement waking Falco. "It's time to go".

"You're helping us?", she asked him perplexed, like she couldn't believe it.

"Yeah of course", Jean answered her, and you smiled down at your hands placing some stray gas cannisters inside a box. You jumped slightly, startled when Jean suddenly went from gentle talking over to harsh yelling.

"Hey Reiner! How long are you planning on sleeping?!". You turned to see him yank Reiner up by his collar, Gabi and Falco just sitting beside them, watching the scene unfold. You smirked slightly; Reiner surely deserved at least a little more torment from you before you started working together again, right?

"You're more than healed enough already, aren't you?!", Jean continued, abruptly letting go, causing Reiner to collapse back down. He looked disoriented. "Get up and get going!", Jean finally ended his little taunting session and turned around to join the rest of you.

You rolled your eyes at him with a small smile once he reached you, and started walking towards Gabi and Falco to help them pack their things; but not before exchanging a subtle fist bump with Jean as you passed him. Sure you couldn't keep that act up if this collaboration were to work, but you couldn't just put the past aside and pretend like nothing happened; not yet anyway. You needed time.

"Here, let me help you", you crouched down by the kids, beginning to roll up Falco's sleeping bag.

"Oh, you don't have to—", Falco tried protesting, but you kept going.

"It's no problem at all. You guys go join the others by the carriage. I think Mikasa has some fruit ready for you if you're hungry, I can pack this up for you", you smiled. They looked at you for a moment, not sure what to do, but they saw the sincerity in your eyes and decided to accept you offer.

"Thank you Y/N", Falco smiled, and waited for Gabi to join him. She gave you a thankful nod and walked towards the wagon with Falco.

~

"Gabi... I'm sorry for kicking you", Jean apologised after a couple of hours on your travel towards the harbour. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine", she assured him, trying to hide her surprise that he even cared enough to ask.

You sat in the front of the carriage, beside Marco who were operating it. Annie, Reiner, Jean, Falco and Gabi sat in the back while the rest was in the other wagon upfront.

"Good...", Jean peeked over at Reiner, noticing the way he looked at him. "Reiner, you're not getting an apology", he then said stern.

"Yeah... fine with me", he mumbled, looking away.

"I can't... I can't forgive you", Jean said quietly.

"I know...", Reiner said in the same quiet tone. Marco's gaze automatically peeked over at you sitting by his left side, but you didn't meet it, only looking down at your hands. You were with Jean on that one, at least the way things were standing at the moment.