Chapter 71

After you had skimmed through Moblit's book, you joined the others in their pained and silent demeanour, none meeting each other's gazes.

"I'm counting on you, Onyankopon", you heard Armin say as he exited the cockpit. He was already making sure to take his newly appointed role of Commander seriously; being the first one to shake himself out of the paralyzed state everyone else seemed to be in. He felt as though he owed Hange that much.

"Okay, let's discuss our plan", Armin spoke up, sitting down on the floor between the rest of you to gain your attention. Armin started patting his pockets, and you immediately caught on as to what he was looking for.

"Here", you said, handing him one of your trusty pencils you always keep on you. He took it with an appreciative nod, aiming his focus on the floor in front of him.

"Y/N, Marco, Pieck... You said you saw the new form of the Founding Titan, is this what it looked like?", Armin asked, having drawn a pretty accurate image of the monstrosity you saw in Shiganshina directly onto the floor of the flying boat.

"Yes... though we only really saw the back end of it", Marco answered, motioning at the two of you with his finger.

"It basically looks like a big pile of bones, almost like a ribcage, but the bones were moving. It reminded me of a bug walking honestly...", you said grossed out.

"Normally the body controlling it would be in its nape, but we can't be sure considering what the War Hammer Titan did", Levi pondered.

"In other words... We don't know where Eren is", Armin concluded with a sigh.

"Even if we don't, we could always blow the whole thing away... Like when you flattened Liberio's navy port and left nothing behind; Your colossal titan could do it", Pieck said, and Armin's face turned slightly pained.

He paused for a moment, thinking...

"True, that would be the most effective way to do it. But only if we've tried and failed to have a dialogue with Eren. Only if that is the only way left to stop him... It's our last resort", he then said, putting much emphasis on the last sentence. You completely agreed; you shouldn't just rush to end him, there had to be another way.

"I'm fine with us having a last resort", Levi started saying. "But Eren's controlling the Founding Titan through Zeke, right? Can't we stop the rumbling if we just went and killed Zeke?". You widened your eyes as you looked at him. That was true... Hmm, maybe there really was a way for you to get to Eren that didn't require hurting him? What Levi was saying certainly made sense if you take everything you've learned about the Founder into consideration.

You felt the dangerous feeling of hope flare up within your chest, silently fighting it as you've learned times before that getting ahead of yourself always ends with a broken heart.

"You know... you might be right", Armin said after a short moment of processing his words.

"I'm not certain, but that's what Hange predicted—"

"We don't know Zeke's location, either though...", Pieck calmly interrupted him.

"Then we just have to find that furry bastard inside those bones", Levi said determined. "I'll stop Zeke, just... lend me your strength", he finished saying, and everyone looked at him gently.

"Captain... Of course", Jean agreed. "We had to kill hordes of our allies to get this flying boat in the air... We can't allow that to be a meaningless slaughter. This is all in order to stop the rumbling. I'll do anything it takes", he pledged.

"Jean", Reiner said in a whisper.

Connie turned in his seat, seemingly something on his mind as he sighed. "I... I shot and killed Samuel and Daz... Sliced up those faces I knew until they were unrecognizable, all while they called me a traitor, while they kept telling me they were saving the world...", he paused, looking up at Reiner, pained. "You, Bertholdt, Annie... It must have been awful for you", he croaked out, much to Reiner's surprise. His expression showed you how perplexed he was over the fact that he was shown any form of understanding when it came to what he did to you all.