Chapter 21

Today your friends was on your mind. It had been a week since the attack on Trost; almost a whole week of you being a member of the Survey Corps. Last night your friends had chosen their regiment, and you couldn't help but wonder where they were now.

You know Connie said he would join, but you sensed he was struggling with his decision when you hugged him goodbye. He very well might end up changing his mind, no one in their right mind should want to face a titan again after all. You had no clue who of your friends were going to arrive here at the castle, other than Armin and Mikasa. The suspense was killing you as you pulled weeds out from the side edges of the castle, the tedious workload not being enough to distract you from your thoughts.

"You're not pulling by the root, it'll only grow back", Levi's voice suddenly said from behind you as he had been inspecting your work without you knowing. You sighed, and looked at him.

"Sorry Captain, just a lot on my mind", you excused yourself defeated, something you normally don't do. He just looked at you, and you could tell he was waiting for you to keep talking. "It's just that my friends joined the regiment's yesterday and I'm nervous for them. I can't decide on what I hope they chose. In one way, I want them to join us so that I can have them close and keep protecting them as I always have. But this is the most dangerous alternative, so that is a selfish thought. If they choose the MP's they'll at least be secured safety, but then I will never get to see them. Plus they'll rot away with those pigs and their corrupt ways", you vented, rambling on a little longer than you planned. Levi's expression didn't change much, but you could see something that reminded you of relatability?...Understanding?

"Just trust in your friends judgements and that what they ended up choosing is what they feel is the best for them. Then all you have to do is support it", he said and turned around. You looked at him puzzled, not really expecting such a sincere advice.

"We'll be going out for a patrol soon. Go help Eren get the horses ready", he ordered before walking away. You decided to take his advice and trust in your friends.

'I will support their decision no matter how I feel'

You joined Eren by the stables and grabbed a bucket to feed the horses.

"Hey Eren, Y/N", Eld called out to you. Him and Gunther was taking a breather on some steps close by. "Do you know if any of your friends are enlisting to the Survey Corps?", he asked curious. You and Eren looked at each other, both unsure.

"Yes there is", Eren answered, but then changed his answer. "Or, there was", he said a little sad, and you knew he was thinking about Mina and Thomas who died before they could join us. You continued feeding the horses until you reached your horse, noticing how the grey hair was glistening in the sun.

"Why do you all have brown horses and I have a grey one?", you wondered, asking Eld and Gunther if they knew anything about it.

"I think that was Hange's friend's horse. After her friend died a long while ago, she has been holding on to it. Using it as a kind of reserve horse, in case her main one couldn't join a mission for whatever reason. She must have thought it would be of better use with you", Gunther explained, and your felt a warm feeling spread throughout your body. Hange was really the most welcoming and kindest person you had met in a while, the first one being Marco. You had to remember to thank her.

"We mostly have brown horses now because that specific breed is the most efficient one you can get that check's out our needs out in the field, that also doesn't completely bust our already low budged. Horses such as yours, Hange's, Levi's, Erwin's and etcetera is just as good, even better actually. But their breed are much pricier, which means they are usually preserved for the most important people in the regiment", Eld explained further. "You should feel lucky to have one of those as they excel in both stamina and speed". You felt your face grow hotter, feeling kind of guilty you got to have such a privilege instead of one of these veterans.