Chapter 49

You had put on your nicest casual-wear outfit; your pin moved from your uniform over to the dress, nicely placed by your heart. You've made a habit of moving the pin to be fastened at whatever clothing you were currently wearing, and so had Marco. You even changed up the way you usually styled your hair for the big feast that were taking place that evening. You and all of the Scouts were situated at the Regiment's Trost HQ, scheduled to leave for Shiganshina the day after.

Tonight you had switched up the seating arrangements, you sitting between Armin and Sasha with Connie on her left, while Marco sat across from you with Marlo and Jean. Mikasa and Eren sat at either end on the far end of the table from you.

Marco were deep in conversation with Marlo about the Military Police and his experience with them. You found it endearing how quickly the pair got along, both originally wanting to join the MP's for the same reason; To make a difference and serve the king.

As you braided a little strand of Sasha's hair, a handful of scouts came into the room, the smell of rich food following right behind them. They placed a huge tray of the dish on each table, you all staring down at it completely dumbfounded.

"This may be a special night, but... Let's not let the public find out! Behave like soldiers without causing a ruckus!", the head-chef of the Survey Corps announced.

"What? Is... Is this... meat?", Connie said weakly. You couldn't move your gaze away from the glorious piece of meat placed in front of you, long enough to look at the other's expressions. But there was no doubt they matched your own.

"Am I dreaming?", Sasha said awestricken, raising her hands to grab the sides of her head.

"Tonight's the night before we retake Wall Maria! Cheers!", the chef hollered while raising his mug, initiating cheers and roars from the rest of the soldiers in the room. And with that, everyone went wild, arguments over the size of the portions of meat flying in from left, right and centre.

You barely even managed to look up at Sasha, subconsciously already knowing she would black out into her feral-like state; much like she did when Crista came with rolls and water for the two of you,- before she hungrily sunk her teeth into the entire slab of meat with a low growl, her fingers prying into it.

"Sasha!", you grabbed a firm hold around her waist as Connie wrapped his arms around the area of her collarbones.

"Don't you start pulling that shit, potato girl!", Jean yelled as he struggled to yank the meat out of her mouth by grabbing her wrists.  "What the hell do you think you're doing?!". You could tell by the look in her eyes that Sasha was no longer there; her pupils as small as a tiny piece of gravel, looking slightly above Jean.

"Cut it out Sasha!", Connie pleaded, tears piling up at the brim of his eyes. "I.. I don't wanna have to kill you!". Jean had had enough, grabbing directly at the meat instead, forcefully separating it from her mouth. Sasha snarled.

"You can't eat the whole thing alone!-", Jean's sentence was cut short by his scream as Sasha resorted to chomp at his hand, and you cringed at the sound. "You're eating me! Sasha! Eating me!", he yelped in horror.

"SASHA!", you yelled, almost at the brink of tears as well. "THAT'S JEAN'S HAND! IT'S NOT THE RIGHT MEAT!". You let go of her waist and placed your hands at the sides of her face, trying to spot any sign of Sasha in those empty, feral eyes. "Sasha! Remember our breathing exercises?", you suggested desperately. Those had helped before, but it's never been this bad before, so it might not help at all in this situation. "Please, breathe for me to the rhythm Sasha!; This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home. This little piggy ate roast beef~ ", you tried singing while clapping the rhythm, though your voice was too shaky to hit the proper notes. Nothing. No response in the slightest. Her parents always sang that to her as a child and she liked it a lot since it was about pigs becoming meat. Though slightly disturbed by her reason for liking it, you turned it into a breathing exercise to use whenever she would black out like this.