Chapter 48

We can win! We can beat them!", Marlo hollered with his cup clutched in his hands. "With the new weapons, the titans will crumble like paper!"

You smiled at his eagerness. It was the feeling of hope and drive only a new recruit who hadn't been out in the field yet could possess. Though you couldn't stop yourself from thinking how naïve he currently was. The past months was evidence enough that in the world of titans the most unpredictable scenarios could happen at any time.

"You're so damn worked up. Only you would be happy becoming a Scout", Jean said with a dull tone, Marlo's excitement having the opposite effect on him.

"Yeah, Hitch didn't try to stop you from joining?", Sasha asked curious.

"Hitch? Why would she try to stop me?"

Connie and Sasha started smirking and stifling giggles the same way they did at breakfast after they found out about you and Marco's first kiss. You couldn't help but smirk at Marlo, Sasha and Connie not being the only ones who had noticed that certain chemistry going on between him and Hitch.

"Why? Cuz you two are... you know?", Sasha struggled to keep her giddy voice steady, failing miserably. It became harder and harder for you to keep your chuckles in watching his oblivious expression. You hid your face by leaning onto Marco's arm, tittering against his shoulder quietly, so that the fabric would muffle the sound. His hand reached down to rest by your thigh, an act of affection however keeping it subtle.

"I don't follow, but... Hitch told me off, saying I wasn't cut out for it and not to act cool. That if I stayed with the military police, I could coast along in life... I thought she was better than that...", his voice stayed neutral and serious the whole time. "I told her I was wrong about her". Your eyes widened and the responses came all at once;

"You shit"

"You did what now?"

"Marlo, are you stupid?"

"He's a bowl cut imbecile"

"Why? Marlo said nothing wrong", Eren exclaimed confused. You kicked his shin. "Ow!"

It was like you all collectively deemed Eren's statement invalid, Jean moving on from the subject of Hitch and Marlo's supposed love life.

"Anyways, the only ones as worked up as you are the recruits with zero battle experience"

"Whoa, whoa... Think you're some veteran hero now?", a voice from behind your table said. You turned your head slightly to see no other than Floch Forster, the walking birds nest himself, looking over at you with a smug expression.

'Was he seriously eavesdropping?'

"Compared to you, I am", Jean responded with a low voice. Floch got up from his seat, a few others of his friends joining him by his side. To your dismay one of them were none other than Mabel, quietly looking at you in a pompous manner from his right. You internally sighed.

'Great... They've joined forces... fan-tas-tic'

"How rude. Weren't we in the 104th together? Besides, we're not the only ones. Everyone in the walls is pumped up about the idea of retaking Wall Maria"

"Is that so?", Jean asked with an unimpressed look, and you looked at the trio in front of you the same way. Sure you were excited to reclaim your home, but you weren't naïve enough to believe there were no threats or risks with this mission, like they seemed to do.

"Still... You all do seem different now.", Floch expression suddenly seemed to have changed, a little droplet of stress-sweat forming by his hairline. "It's your faces, I guess... What exactly happened?"