Barty Crouch Jr Tale

Graciela's POV

"Master Barty! Master Barty, what is you doing here?" Winky cries. She flung herself forward onto the young man's chest. "You is killed him! You is killed Master's son!" she cries. Oh so he is Barty Crouch Jr, that explains a few things. But I'm sure Harry told me he died years ago in Azkaban. That's what Dumbledore told him anyway.

"He is simply stunned, Winky. Step aside, please. Severus, you have the potion?" Dumbledore asks. Snape handed Dumbledore a small glass bottle of completely clear liquid. Must be the truth serum Dumbledore wanted him to get. I'll have to be more careful in future with what I drink. Dumbledore made the man drink the potion before reviving him.

Crouch's son opened his eyes. His face was slack, his gaze unfocused. Dumbledore knelt before him, so that their faces were level. "Can you hear me?" Dumbledore asks quietly.

"Yes" Barty mutters.

"How did you escape from Azkaban?" Dumbledore asks him. Crouch took a deep, shuddering breath, then began to speak in a flat, expressionless voice. As we all listened.

"My mother saved me. She knew she was dying. She persuaded my father to rescue me as a last favor to her. He loved her as he had never loved me. He agreed. They came to visit me. They gave me a draft of Polyjuice Potion containing one of my mother's hairs. She took a draft of Polyjuice Potion containing one of my hairs. We took on each other's appearance" he explains.

"Say no more. Master Barty, say no more, you is getting your father into trouble!" Winky cries.

"My father smuggled me out, disguised as my mother. My mother died a short while afterward in Azkaban. She was careful to drink Polyjuice Potion until the end. She was buried under my name and bearing my appearance. Everyone believed her to be me" Barty explains.

"And what did your father do with you, when he had got you home?" Dumbledore asks him.

"Staged my mother's death. A quiet, private funeral. The house-elf nursed me back to health. Then I had to be concealed. I had to be controlled. My father had to use a number of spells to subdue me. When I had recovered my strength, I thought only of finding my master...of returning to his service" Barty states.

"How did your father subdue you?" Dumbledore asks him.

"The Imperius curse" Barty states and Harry holds my hand tighter. How could someone, who was the former head of law enforcement and in the running to be minister. Use an unforgiveable curse and get away with it? "I was under my fathers control. I was forced to wear an Invisibility Cloak day and night. I was always with the house-elf. She was my keeper and caretaker. She pitied me. She persuaded my father to give me occasional treats. Rewards for my good behavior" he explains.

"You isn't ought to tell them, we is getting in trouble" Winky sobs.

"Did anybody ever discover that you were still alive?" Dumbledore ask Barty.

"Yes, a witch in my father's office. Bertha Jorkins. She came to the house with papers for my father's signature. He was not at home. Winky showed her inside and returned to the kitchen, to me. But Bertha Jorkins heard Winky talking to me. She came to investigate. She heard enough to guess who was hiding under the Invisibility Cloak.

My father arrived home. She confronted him. He put a very powerful Memory Charm on her to make her forget what she'd found out. Too powerful. He said it damaged her memory permanently" Barty explains.

"Tell me about the Quidditch World Cup" Dumbledore tells him.

"Winky talked my father into it" Barty states.  "She spent months persuading him. I had not left the house for years. I had loved Quidditch. It was carefully planned.