Surprise Announcement

Graciela's POV

"Shame we're not fourth years hah?" Micheal asks me as I looked at the poster for the Yule Ball. It was announced a week ago and a student made posters. And hang them all over school.

"Not really, I hate wearing dresses" I tell him.

"So what will you do since we won't be here?" he asks me.

"Don't know, maybe go home and celebrate Christmas with my family. I haven't celebrated a Christmas with them since I started coming here" I tell him.

"Or you could..." he starts to say and shakes he's head. "Never mind, it's a stupid idea. You should spend it with your family" he mumbles.

"No, what were you going to say?" I ask him intrigued.

"Well I was wondering if you wanted to spend Christmas at my house with my mum and I" he says while scratching the back of his head.

"You're mum would be ok with that?" I ask him as we walk through the halls.

"Yeah, the only people that usually come over are Draco and his parents. You'd be the first girl" he tells me blushing slightly. I blush slightly too.

"Well it would be an adventure, but only if your mum is ok with it" I tell him.

"I'll owl her now and should have a reply tonight" he tells me. "What will you tell Harry?" he asks me.

"What do you mean? He knows we're friends, he should be fine with me spending Christmas with you. But if he isn't I'll just lie and tell him I'm going home to spend it with my parents and brother" I tell him. "Anyway, I'll see you later" I add and we go our separate ways. I return to the common room to see Harry hugging his golden eggs and Hermione besides him reading a book.

"Hey Grace, where were you?" Harry asks me curious.

"With Micheal" I tell him as I sit by Hermione. Winter runs over to me and snuggles into my lap. "Hey girl, I missed you too" I tell her. "You seem down" I say looking up at Harry.

"He asked Cho Chang to the ball, but she already said yes to someone else" Hermione tells me. "I have to go burrow a book" she adds and leaves the room.

"Oh well, what about the three girls that asked you out?" I ask him curious. Before he can answer Ron is helped into the room. He looks shaky and pale.

"What's up, Ron?" Harry and I ask him as Ginny helps Ron sit down. Ron looked up at us, a sort of blind horror in his face.

"Why did I do it?" he asks us wildly. "I don't know what made me do it!" he exclaims.

"What?" Harry asks him looking as confused as I feel.

"He - er - just asked Fleur Delacour to go to the ball with him" Ginny tells us. She looked as though she was fighting back a smile. But she kept patting Ron's arm sympathetically.

"You what?" Harry asks Ron shocked.

"I don't know what made me do it" Ron gasps out. "What was I playing at? There were people - all around - I've gone mad - everyone watching! I was just walking past her in the entrance hall - she was standing there talking to Diggory - and it sort of came over me - and I asked her" he explains to us.

Ron moaned and put his face in his hands. He kept talking, though the words were barely distinguishable. "She looked at me like I was a sea slug or something. Didn't even answer. And then - I dunno - I just sort of came to my senses and ran for it" he finishes explains.

"She is part Veela" Harry tells him. "You were right - her grandmother was one. It wasn't your fault. I bet you just walked past when she was turning on the old charm for Diggory and got a blast of it. But she was wasting her time. He's going with Cho Chang" he explains. "I asked her to go with me just now, and she told me" he adds.

"We're the only ones left who haven't got anyone - well, except Neville. Hey - guess who he asked? Hermione" Ron tells us.

"I know, she told me" I tell him. But she is going with Viktor Krum I add in my head.

"What?" Harry asks shocked by the news.

"He told me after Potions! Said she's always been really nice, helping him out with work and stuff- but she told him she was already going with someone. Ha! As if! She just didn't want to go with Neville...I mean, who would?" Ron asks chuckling.

"Don't laugh" Ginny and I tell him annoyed. Just then Hermione climbed back in through the portrait hole. She asks us why we aren't at dinner. "Because - oh shut up laughing, you two - because they've both just been turned down by girls they asked to the ball" Ginny explains and that shuts them up.

"Ginny and I were comforting them" I add.

"Eloise Midgen starting to look quite pretty now, is she? Well, I'm sure you'll find someone somewhere who'll have you" Hermione assures Ron. But Ron was staring at Hermione as though suddenly seeing her in a whole new light. Oh no.

"Hermione, Neville's right - you are a girl" Ron says.

"Oh well spotted" she says acidly. I don't blame her.

"Well - you can come with one of us" Ron tells her.

"No I/she can't" Hermione and I tell them. "I'm already going with someone" she tells them blushing slightly.

"No, you're not. You just said that to get rid of Neville" Ron states.

"Oh did I?" she asks him as her eyes flash dangerously. "Just because it's taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn't mean no one else has spotted I'm a girl" she tells him hotly.

"Okay, we know you're a girl. That do? Will you come now?" Ron asks her.

"I already told you! I'm going with someone else!" she exclaims. She stormed off toward the girls' dormitories again.

"Ginny, you can go with Harry, and I'll go with you Grace" Ron tells us.

"I can't, I'm going with - with Neville. He asked me when Hermione said no, and I thought...well...I'm not going to be able to go otherwise, I'm not in fourth year" Ginny tells him.

"I actually hate dresses and don't really want to go to the ball Ron. Besides I already have plans for the holidays as I was expecting not to be here. You and Harry will have to ask someone else" I tell him.

"I think I'll go and have dinner, Grace coming?" Ginny asks me. I nod my head and we leave with Winter following us. "Honestly how stupid can Ron be?" she asks me.

"I know right" I tell her.

"So what plans do you have?" she asks me curious.

"I was going to spend Christmas with my parents and brother. But Micheal invited me to his house for Christmas. He sent an owl to his mum asking if it's ok" I tell her.

"Aww you and Micheal sitting in a tree" she teases. Making me blush. "Oh here he comes now" she says as we enter the entrance hall. He runs over to us.

"Mum just owled back, she said yes you could spend Christmas with us" he tells me happily.

"Great, lets go have dinner" I tell them. We enter the great hall and go to the Gryffindor table. We fill our plates and start to eat in silence.

A/N

Picture above of a Yule Ball Poster.