Grindylow and Potion

Grace's POV

It's the weekend before Halloween and Harry couldn't go to Hogsmeade, so I'm keeping him company. While Winter walks beside us, she is now 10 weeks old. Anyway we decided to go see Hedwig in the owlery when someone called our names. We're still in the school and turned to see Professor Lupin poking his head out of his classroom.

"What you doing here? Where are Ron and Hermione?" he asks us.

"Hogsmeade" Harry replies.

"Why don't you come in? I have a grindylow for our next lesson" he states. "Also some chocolate cake" he adds looking at me and I immediately enter the room. Harry follows and Lupin leads us into his office. Where there is a creature in a tank.

"What is it?" Harry asks while Lupin gives me a slice of chocolate cake.

"Water demon" I state as I hold Winter and she barks at it. Making me giggle as I sit down with her on my lap.

"Correct" Lupin says smiling. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the Kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle" he explains.

"I wish I was a third year" I grumble as I pat a now sleeping Winter.

"Tea?" he asks. While the grindylow hides in the seaweed in it's tank. "I just boiled the kettle" he states.

"Sure" Harry says while I nod my head.

"I've only got teabags, I'm afraid — but I daresay you've had enough of tea leaves?" Lupin says looking at Harry.

"How did you know about that?" Harry asks.

"About what?" I ask confused.

"McGonagall told me" he replies. "You're not worried are you?" he asks Harry.

"Why would he be worried?" I ask still confused while Harry said 'no'.  "Harry are you keeping something from me?" I ask annoyed. I thought we told each other everything.

"No" he says and I give him a hurt look, why would he lie to me. He's own cousin. "You know that day we fought the Boggart?" he asks Lupin changing the subject.

"Yes" Lupin says giving us our tea.

"Why didn't you let me fight it?" Harry ask him.

"I'd think that'd be obvious Harry" I say in a bored tone while Lupin nods his head.

"Why?" Harry asks confused.

"I assumed if you facedthe boggart, it would turn into Lord Voldemort" Lupin replies. Harry stared at him clearly surprised and as was I. The only person I've heard say Voldemort's name aside from Harry was Professor Dumbledore.

"Clearly he was wrong" I state sipping my tea.

"But I didn't think it a good idea for Lord Voldemort to materialize in the staff room. I imagined that people would panic" Lupin explains.

"I did think of him at first and then I remembered that night on the train. Those dementors" Harry tells us.

"I'm impressed, that suggests that what you fear most of all is — fear. Very wise, Harry" Lupin states. "So you've been thinking that I didn't believe you capable of fighting the Boggart?" he asks Harry.

"Well - yeah" Harry says. I could tell he was suddenly feeling a lot happier. He goes to speak again but there was a knock on the office door. Winter stirred a little, but did not wake as Lupin told the person to come in. The door opened, and in came Snape. He was carrying a goblet, which was smoking faintly. He stopped at the sight of Harry and I.

"Ah Severus" Lupin says with a faint smile. "Thanks very much. Could you leave it here on the desk for me?" he asks.Snape set down the smoking goblet, his eyes wandering between Harry, Lupin and I. "I was just showing them my grindylow" he states.

"Fascinating, you should drink that directly" Snape tells him.

"Yes, I will" Lupin assures him.

"I made an entire cauldronful, if you need more" Snape adds.

"I should probably have some again tomorrow. Thanks very much, Severus" Lupin says. That's when I realize it must be wolfsbane potion, a new potion made to help werewolves during to full moon. I go through my mind and remember there is a full moon the night before Halloween. I brought back into the present while Lupin said the potion tasted disgusting.

"Well, Harry, Grace I'd better get back to work. See you both at the feast later" he tells us. I nod my head with a smile and pick up Winter. Harry and I return to the common room where I sit beside Ginny. We start to do our homework together before the feast.

A/N

Picture above of Lupin's office and picture on the external link of the grindylow.