Chapter 31

Chapter 31 - Parental skills be damned
»»——⍟——««

"Kid, whatever you see downstairs, always remember that those people are the stupidest beings on the planet." You babbled on, holding the toddler in your arms as you walk through the long hallway. "They don't know how to hurt a single fly." 

You were technically lying to your son, but who cares? The important thing, for now, is that he is comfortable enough in the presence of those giants. Just imagining the boy beside Katakuri is giving you anxiety. You won't be surprised if one of them accidentally sat on the lad because of the comparison in size.

Kid blinked at you, not gathering a single thing of what you said. Though, he did nod as a reply. The boy was startled a while ago by the sudden appearance of the stoic swordsman. He wasn't particularly frightened, but he was confused when the man glanced his way.

His disturbance doubled when the children began running out of the room the same as headless chickens. Their screaming was so wild that the lad has to wonder if he can screech like that as well.  Kid frowned at the thought, touching his throat while he is at it. Your son has never uttered a single word nor syllable as of yet.

You were fine with it though, recalling when Rosinante informed you that it could be an effect of him being locked up so young. Besides, the boy's vocal cords could simply be underdeveloped. He'll come around soon enough. 

Now, the mother and son are making their way to where all the people are. Laughter and shoutings can be heard as you near the stairs that would lead to the living room. Kid would be lying if he didn't say that the noises irked him a lot. The boy believed that the children fleeing would mean alone time with you, however, here you are carrying him to the demons' den. 

"What's with the face, Kid?" You questioned, tilting your head slightly at the sight of the lad. He was frowning with his non-existent eyebrows all scrunched up. The boy appears disappointed for some reason.

Your son merely replied by pointing behind you. That cue was quickly interpreted, causing an internal turmoil of whether to follow the child's wish or to give him that little nudge that might help him in the end. Though, that amber eyes are not helping.

Just as you were about to cave down on the toddler's request -with his eager stare and all that cuteness-, Hancock casually emerged in front of you. The empress looks down with that alluring gaze of hers, seeming to be eyeing the little boy in your arms as well.

 Kid remained unaffected, blinking at the woman before proceeding to pat your cheeks. He didn't feel anything hostile from the lady, a bit more used to with all the staring the lad received since meeting you. Unknowingly, that has slowly helped the toddler with his anxiousness of facing strangers. 

"You brat! How dare you act so nonchalant in my presence!" Hancock scowled, her back arched as she pointed at the toddler. "Know your place! You might be my nephew but you shall bow down whenever I pass!"

You have always loved Hancock's confidence and her uprising morale, especially for women. However, right now, you are simply amused at the fact she decided that this will be the first impression between her and your son.

Moreover, it is fascinating how Kid appeared bored, as opposed to his usual whimpering expression.

"He likes you." You snickered when Kid didn't show any other signs, merely giving the goddess another staredown before trying to urge you once more in returning to the comfort of the bedroom.

"Of course he does!" Hancock scuffs, proceeding to stroll down the stairs with a proud look on her face. It appears she just wants to meet your newly adopted son, and her nephew as she calls it.