Chapter 4: High School

River

When I got back to my apartment, I laid in bed replaying the time I spent with Sal. My heart began to flip and butterflies filled my stomach. Why did I feel so nervous and strangely, exceptionally happy? I suppose it was nice being in the comfort of someone else who is different. I crawl back into my bed and lay there looking around my new bedroom with a slight sorrow in my heart. This didn't feel like the place I belonged. I wanted to be back home with my Mom and Dad having fun and making more memories there. But unfortunately they couldn't be the way I lived anymore. I know I needed to give Nockfell a shot, after all I'd only been here less than a day.

I check the time after some stirring and see it was now nearly 6:45. I was meeting Sal fairly soon so needed to get showered and eat some breakfast. I stretch myself out and leap out of bed to go and meet my Dad in the living room.

"Morning Riv, how you feeling?" He poured out some cereal for me and handed me the bowl.

"Meh alright, been up since 4..."

"Oh no, another nightmare my love?" He frowned his brows with a concerned expression.

"Yeah think so. I couldn't get back to sleep after that..." I grab a spoon and begin to eat my breakfast on the sofa.

"Do you remember what this one was about?" He questioned as he came to sit beside me with his coffee.

"No not really. I just woke up drenched in sweat with that ringing sound again. That shit hurts..."

"Oh sweetheart. Have you been taking your medication?"

I don't really answer him but just nod as I chow down on my cereal. Truth was, I hated taking my medication for sleep trauma. I hated the idea of taking any sort of pills at 17 anyway, why did I have to be so different. Every teenager goes through shit in their life, so why did mine have to result in countless hours of therapy alongside some pills to help me rest. The worst part was sometimes they made things more difficult. There have been a few times that I've not taken the meds and I've actually slept 10x better than I did previously but then other times I've been stuck without sleeping for two days fearing the monster lurking in my dreams will eat me alive.

I let out a large yawn and rub my eyes trying to stay awake. This was a problem with having a disturbed sleeping pattern, you're either terribly fatigued or you're wide awake. There is no in between. I wondered how Sal was feeling this morning, he was up around the same time as me so I can only imagine he didn't go back to sleep either. I reach for my phone and text him.

Me: Hey Sal, you ok?
Sal: it's only been a couple of hours, miss me that much already? ;)
Me: haha very funny. We still on to meet around 8?
Sal: sure, if you wanna meet earlier and chill before we meet Larry we can if you want... but obviously don't feel pressured.
Me: sure I'd like that. I'll hop in the shower quick and meet you out the front by the elevator?
Sal: perfect. See you soon.

I smile at my phone which naturally sparks the curiosity of my Dad.

"Who you texting?" His face smirking and his elbows prodding at me.

"Oh just Sal. I'm going to go and meet him soon..."

"Who's sal sweetheart? One of the new friends you met yesterday?"

"Yeah, Sal and Larry live in the apartments too. Larry's in the basement and Sal is in 402!" I smile.

"Well well well, it seems Sal made a big impression on you didn't he?" Dad winks at me.

"Whatever you're thinking you need to quit it!" I chuckle. "Sal is just different like me..."

"Oh really? How so?"