Chapter 78: Explosion

River's POV:-
"Wait a minute, what do you mean the lost soul? Larry what the hell do you mean!?" I turn to face him, feeling a weird sensation in my chest.

"When you brought Sal back through to our side, the pain you were feeling was the wings trying to escape your skin. I saw it with my own eyes Riv, it was magnificent. She spoke to me, seemed genuinely concerned about your life and how she attached herself to you to keep you safe..."

"But that would then mean there isn't just my soul in my body..." I felt sick thinking of something else inside me. "I knew about the protector but why haven't I heard the other voice? The other person in there?"

"Well from what I understood was that the protector is actually a fragmented part of the original soul. Essentially your..."

"Light and dark..." I stumbled backwards into a nearby table. "Larry... Travis has come back and needs to speak with me. Do you think this has something to do with it?"

"Travis? I thought that dipshit left town? What the fuck does he want to speak to you about?" Larry's body language completely switched and turned more aggressive.

"Look I know you and Travis have your beef but a few weeks ago Sal and I caught him at a really bad time. He was going through some real shit with his family so he skipped town. I saw him this afternoon in school..."

"He came back!" Larry roared and began to grit his teeth. "He has some real nerve that piece of shit..."

"I know Larry but stop..." I reached out, cupping his hands in mine which immediately eased his tightly gripped fists. "He's asked to meet me tonight - says he's got some real important shit to tell me. I needed a place for us to go so he isn't caught and I mentioned the treehouse..."

"YOU DID WHAT!" Larry let go of my hands and turned away from me. "Riv that treehouse is fucking private! I only tell people I care about that that place exists!"

"I'm sorry Larry but if you would just let me explain..."

"No!" He turned back to face me, his expression hurt and betrayed. "That treehouse is more to me than just a chill out place to smoke dope. It's the last thing I have of my dad, the last thing he built before he left and now you're telling me that you've offered to meet one of my enemies in my happy place? That's fucked up Riv!"

"Larry please I need to hear what he has to say. His dad is..."

"Fucking save it Riv!" He barges past me, grabbing his bag and throwing it over his shoulder before heading to the door.

"Larry please!" I beg him to come back and let me explain. "It's about the cult!"

Just as Larry was about to turn the door handle, he stops. I explain to him about the last encounter I had with Travis, what he said about his dad and how he has become obsessive with Sal and I. I told him all about the note he left to Sal, expressing his true emotions and feelings for him. I told him every last detail about Travis's abuse and how even though he was terrified of his dad murdering him after finding out he betrayed him, he told us things he shouldn't have - to protect us. It took Larry a few minutes to look at me, to connect with me again and when he did, it felt cold.

"I wish you would've said something about the treehouse before even telling him..." his voice dropped and croaked as his heart broke in his chest.

"I'm so sorry Larry, it was the first thing I thought of and I know no one else knows about it..."

"You couldn't have thought even your apartment? Travis's dad doesn't know what room you live in? You had to say that?"

"I d-didn't think I just..."