Chapter 30: The Gear Boy

Sal's POV:-
Something felt odd. Different from when River was here this morning. I sat in my bedroom, stroking Gizmo as my thoughts collided with my brain. I couldn't pin point it, it just felt odd. A cold breeze shot under my door frame which made my body stiff and uncomfortable. I climb off my bed, grabbing a sweatshirt and putting on a pair of slim fitted sweatpants. I opened the door, seeing Dad had finally gone to work after stressing about me. I was completely alone in my apartment but somehow I felt I was being watched.

I go back into my bedroom, looking around for my gear boy. It had been months since I had last used it but now was a perfect time to test my theories. I remember taking it to Todd, him frantically explaining that he could modify it to allow me to locate any spirits that may be lurking in the shadows. After a few minutes of turning my room upside down, I managed to find it lodged behind my cabinet. It must have fallen down some time ago. I picked it up, brushing off the small amount of dust and turned it on.

I jolted back at the gear boy began vibrating and beeping at an exceptionally fast rate. I looked around my bedroom, seeing nothing except a sleeping Gizmo. It had to be nearby. I 100% know I shouldn't be demon hunting right now, particularly with my mental state the way it is at the moment but it was something that allowed me to distract myself from my harsh reality. I reach under my bed, grabbing a pair of converse, putting them on and gave gizmo one final stroke before leaving my bedroom. The gear boy was still beeping at me, trembling in my hands which made my whole arms shake under the pressure. Was the soul in my apartment? Surely it would've made itself apparent by now? I quickly adjust my prosthetic before raising my hood and leaving the apartment.

As I left, the beeping stopped. It can't be in the hallway of the fourth floor... hmm... let me walk towards the elevator and head up to the fifth floor. That's where all the real shit seems to happen. I climb inside, not taking my eyes off the gear boy once incase anything happened and I missed it. I press the button for floor 5 and begin to ascend upwards. The elevator did it's usually ping to let me know I was able to get off. As soon as I did, the cold air hit me like a tonne of bricks and made my shudder. The lights were flickering uncontrollably which lead me to believe something really intense was trying to connect with me. The windows were all boarded up which did not allow any natural daylight up here, making it harder for me to see what the hell is going on. I hold up my gear boy, waiting for the intense vibrating to alert me of a potential spirit. As I scope out the hallway, the gear lights up and detects something. I look down, thinking it must be Megan.

When I've used the Gear Boy before, 8/10 it would flash to signal Megan was nearby. But somehow, this didn't feel like Megan's usual doing, unless she was really upset about something perhaps?

I move down to Room 504, opening the door and stepping inside. I continue to study the room, only having a small amount of light to go from considering I left my phone downstairs without realising. I've looked in this room so many times now, I would be so confused if I had missed something. I mean, exploring the bedrooms was a new feature, perhaps something was in there. I slowly made my way to Megan's old bedroom, the cold feeling still filling the room. I check the gear boy, it's screen still flashing manically.

"Megan? Are you here?" I ask the empty bedroom. "It's me, it's Sally" silence. No sign of her trying to connect with me. "Megan? Please come out, what's going on?"

"Sally.... face..." a deep hissing voice came to the floor, making my skin crawl and goosebumps to appear everywhere.

"Who is here with me?" I reply sternly.

The voice didn't reply, instead just sniggered at me with a condescending tone. It made my blood boil. I questioned the presence again, this time angrily and with a tone I didn't use very often.