Chapter 12: Inquisitive Minds

River's POV:-

When Sal and I arrived at his apartment, his Dad was sprawled out on the couch, much like my Dad was when he left him. As Sal called over to him, he turned around and instantly shot up when he saw me standing in the doorway.

"Oh my goodness hello!" He smiled and walked over to us. "You must be River, it's a pleasure to meet you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you too Mr Fisher" I smile back.

"Oh please, call me Henry. What do I owe the pleasure of you two arriving here!?"

"Dad we're going to pop down and see Larry for a while and then I was Erm... wondering if I could stay over at River's tonight?" Sal stuttered, clearly nervous.

"Hmm.." Henry stroked his beard. "Is your Dad there too River?"

"Yes Henry, I'd be more than happy to call my Dad down to talk to you about this, I understand it's a fairly difficult decision to make" I answer confidently.

"That would be wonderful, of course bring him down! It would be great to meet him anyway." Henry smiles and heads to the kitchen. "Can I get anyone a drink?"

"I'm alright Dad" Sal answers and heads to his bedroom to drop off his things.

"I'll be back momentarily, I'll just grab my Dad" I open the door and quickly walk back down the corridor.

As I grew closer to my apartment, I felt the shot of ice creep back down my spine. I froze outside Room 403 and studied the doorway. Why did this door freak me out so much? Was it the police tape that had been loosely draped? Was it the deep scratch marks around the edges of the door? Or was it... oh hang on a damn minute... is that? Blood? I hadn't been to the door in a while, not since Sal made me jump and bash my head against the wall. Why have I never noticed the small blood speckles around the door edge? I snapped myself out of it and continued walking to my door.

"River?" I heard a raspy, faint voice calling for me.

I turn myself around to find nobody standing there. It must be my imagination playing tricks on me. I looked around the empty, dull lit corridor but still could find nothing to suggest someone was standing there with me. I took in a deep breath and ran into my apartment to get my Dad.

When Dad and I walked down to Sal's apartment just moments later, he seemed completely oblivious to the whole thing. I began to feel my chest tighten, almost like someone was squeezing it to the extreme. What on earth was going on? This hasn't happened in the 3 months I've been here... so why was it beginning now? I did my best to shrug it off but the feeling of something awful happening was hard to ignore.

"You alright kiddo?" Dad stopped, clearly noticing me fall behind.

"Yes sorry, just having a moment..."

"Is it nerves? Because of Sal?" Dad nudged me playfully.

"Oh hell no we're not doing this now" I chuckled and pushed him hard.

Dad and I knocked on the door and entered back into Sal's apartment. Instantly, Henry and my dad began talking and laughing. Sal and I looked at each other thinking we had made a mistake introducing our dad's as they were so similar, all in a positive way of course. I watched as the pair of them chuckled over typical Dad stuff, patting each other on the shoulders and then ending the conversation about sports.

"So how are you feeling about these two having a sleepover?" Henry chuckles.

"Oh don't, River has never had a sleepover before let alone a boy coming to stay over..."

"Dad!" I interrupted him, feeling embarrassed that Henry knew I once had no friends.

"Oh trust me I know the feeling, it wasn't until Sal and I moved here from New Jersey he started making friends and sleeping downstairs with Larry..."