Chapter 71: Pull Me Through

Sal's POV:-
"Jim what are you talking about! Will you stop pacing!?" I call over to Jim who was pacing around the hospital room. "Jim!" I called again, louder and with more desperation.

As I called to him, the room began to rumble and the walls began to creak. I look around, seeing the once well lit room begin to grow dull and less inviting.

"What's going on?" I questioned Jim as he ran over to me quickly, putting his large hands over my mouth. I looked up to him, studying the room and his frowned brow. I went to speak again before he quietly shushed me and removed his hands. I felt myself growing more intimidated by this aura that was filling the room, I didn't know what was happening all I knew is that it wasn't good.

"Sal... wait..." Jim hushed me and walked over near the window checking outside. "We are running out of time..."

"What do you mean?" I whispered and walked over to him.

"This place isn't simply in between realities. Fragmented souls lurk within this place, looking for fresh ones to consume. Your soul in its current state is one they would thrive on, to restrict you from returning to your body. If you don't leave here soon, it will be harder for you to slip back into your body.."

"Then how do I get back? Why are you still here?" I questioned him again, aware of my volume.

"Her" he turned around and immediately pointed to River. "This energy she holds is incredibly powerful, I can feel it in my body and she isn't near me. I can feel her love for you, the pain and desperation to bring you back to the other side. If this girl is the lost soul, their power will possess her and pull you back through the realms.."

"But how do I get her to pull me through? And what do you mean possess her?" I feel my eyes open wide as I fear for what may happen to River during this experience.

"Listen, River will be fine. It's you I fear for. The longer you stay, it will be harder for you in the long run. I don't have time to explain much more Sal, I'm sorry. When you return to the other side, you'll be able to tell River and Larry everything I've told you, you can attempt to get into the cults whereabouts and find that ancient book. It contains everything you need to know about them and how to defeat them. We need to start trying to get you back..."

"I can't risk hurting her Jim, no matter what my cost is I can't hurt her.." I feel my eyes glassing over once more. "I just can't... hurt her..."

"Sal..." Jim comes over and places his hands on my shoulders as I turn my head up to look at him. His face softens and his body language calms to make me feel comfortable. "I know this is difficult and I know how much you love this girl. It's like looking at myself and Lisa, I loved with every bone in my body and would do anything to protect her. River is that person to do the same for you right now. You have to try, no matter the cost..."

"But what if... it doesn't work?" I sniffle and wipe my face, realising how weak I was beginning to feel. "What if I'm dammed to stay here and then my dad continues his life alone, with no family... and River and Larry have to forget about me?"

"I know you're scared right now, but trust me those people who you hold close would never forget about you. Regardless of what happens, your presence in their lives was supposed to happen. You're a good man Sal and I know how much good you're going to do. You and River will be the ones to end their cursed doom, stop the destruction of any more crimes and hurt. If you don't stop them, if you don't try... who's to say they won't repeat what they did to you with any other poor, unfortunate soul? I know how much that would pain you..."

"Y-you're right" I stood up straight and wiped my eyes. "I wouldn't want anyone else to have to deal with their actions like I have. I have to be the one to stop this, once and for all."