Chapter 57: Faces Speak a Thousand Words

Travis's POV:-
I followed them for ages, winding through the halls until we were finally out of the slime ball school. I had to be inconspicuous as I didn't want to alarm them of my stalking. I knew in my heart of hearts that this was wrong, that I needed to leave them alone and ignore my Father's instructions... but I couldn't go back in the chair. I couldn't go through another round of the 'ritual' which was in fact his poor efforts to 'convert me back'. You'd think in this day and age, people would be accepted for whoever they were, whoever they loved and whomever they chose to be with. How wrong people were. Even in a small, horrible town like Nockfell my father still continued to bash me for my preferences.

It had to be Sal didn't it, it had to be that small, blue haired boy who caught my eye. Why him? Why did it have to be him? I always knew that something was different about me, but it never surfaced until Sal moved to Nockfell a few years back. I remember seeing him for the first time, his white mask glimmering under the poor lighting of the school and his fluorescent eyes pulling me in. I ran to the toilets after this experience, filled with confusion, anger and rage. I smashed anything I could get a hold of, instantly recognising my attraction for a man. I was in denial, major fucking denial. I had to prove I wasn't this person, hence why I started to bully him. He was an easy enough target, I mean someone who wears a prosthetic face and is significantly shorter than most boys our age was a bully's dream. I always hated his friends, particularly that hobo looking scruff Larry and his whiny bitch Ashley. They always had it out for me anyway, they were jealous, jealous they couldn't play sport like I could and be admired from the gym teachers. Typical fucking nerds who wouldn't accept anyone other than their type. Of course, that ginger son of a bitch came along and instantly they hit it off. Three little amigos, running around and laughing at everyone. I hated it. I loathed them and their judgement stares every time I walked past. It was easy for me to go for Sal as my hatred to them was so powerful that it fuelled me enough to go for him.

In reality, Sal never did anything wrong. He was always particularly nice to me, even when I was an asshole to him. I picked on him because his friends, he's lovely little friends who would look out for anyone, chose to make me an enemy. Even in grade school, Ashley and Larry refused to allow me to play with them because I was different to them. Different to their idea of friendship. I was a shattered boy, constantly abused by my Father's harsh words and my mothers poor excuse for parenting. I had grown up to be filled with such hatred because no one ever gave me a chance, no one tried to be my friend... no one but Sal.

I snapped myself back into reality after my mind raced thinking about my shitty excuse for a life. I must have been somewhat aware of my surroundings as I ended up nearly walking into the large tree by the lake. I poked my head around the large stump to see the pair of them sitting, not speaking and staring off into the distance. I sat myself against the tree, the deep grooves digging into my protruding spine and making it slightly uncomfortable. Sal and River weren't too far from me and if they caught my eye, I'd simply shrug it off saying I came here to think. No doubt they'd question me, but I doubt they'd even approach me in the first place. I observed them quietly, simply grabbing my headphones and putting them in my ears to give off the idea I was listening to music.

"Riv? Everything okay?" I heard his deep voice across the way, my heart rate significantly picking up as his beautiful tones graced my ear drums.

"Yeah, was just a tough session really. I mean, you understand..." she spoke softly.

"Yeah I understand. What did you speak about? Obviously... if you don't mind me asking. You don't have to tell me..." he stumbled, god he was so sweet when he stumbled... stop it Travis... not the time.

"We spoke about my face.. how I haven't seen it now thats changed by his hand..."

"And what did he suggest?"