Chapter 66: An Unusual Feeling

Larry's POV:-

Both River and I left the hospital when Henry came for his nightly visit after work. We both said our goodbyes to both Henry and Sal with a heavy heart before navigating our way out of the sadness that all hospitals possess. As we walked through the corridor, I couldn't help observing people and wondering why they were in here. As usual, there were typical injuries, old people that were being checked on and the occasional panicking dad that was trying to find his significant other that was about the give birth. River and I finally reached the exit where we found Axel parked outside waiting to give us a ride. The poor dude looked exhausted, it wasn't even his kid in that room but it was hurting him all the same. I could tell Axel really cared about all us kids, he had that way about him that was so cool but such a dad vibe it was ridiculous.

"Hey guys, all ok? Any update?" his deep tuneful voice came as he readjusted his throat.

"No..." River spoke, the sadness lacing her voice. "No change.."

"That's not always a bad thing kiddo, he's still fighting. I know he'll continue to do so until he's back" Axel smiled weakly, getting in the truck.

River and I crawled into the back seats of the truck, no conversation really going on which made the journey feel like it was going on for eternity. To be honest, I don't blame any of us, we were all struggling to deal with what was happening on top of having to try and live a 'normal' school kid life. Graduation was next week and with the way things were going, River and I would just about scrape the pass points to do so. We did try to study, the best we could but it always lead to us thinking and speaking about times with Sal and how he would try and coach us the best way he could. Sal was a whizz in school, super bright and always willing to help anyone. Even if they didn't deserve his time. Todd and Ashley often came over to the basement to try and help River and I too but again, sometimes it wasn't always helpful.

My mind wandered to the moment that River and I shared in the hospital room. The way her soft but cold hands laid on top of mine, giving them a squeeze of support which was exactly what I needed. I did my best to be strong for her and Sal but it was really chewing me up inside. All I could think about was trying to keep my feelings for her buried deep inside and for her to never find out about them. It sounds like I'm the worst person in the world considering my best friend was unconscious but I was still thinking about his girlfriend in that way. I did my best to try and ignore them, to push them aside and just look at her beautiful face as simply a friend but it was getting harder and harder everyday. I know nothing could ever become of us, it was chasing an empty dream but still my subconscious couldn't let it go. I really needed to find someone new, whether that be hooking up with someone to take my mind off of her or meeting someone that I could actually relate to. Thing is, I found it damn near impossible to speak to chicks simply because none of them ever had anything in common with me. I mean, if there was another River in the world, I wouldn't even hesitate but sadly I haven't met anyone as amazing as her.

"Larry?" she shook me gently and gave me a grin. "We're home, you were seriously day dreaming again."

"Oh! U-um, sorry" I stumbled and opened the door to leave the truck.

"You coming up or?" Axel asked me before locking the car door behind him. "We can sort you out some grub? Bring your mom too if you fancy?"

"I'll give it an ask, I think I'm going to go and have some thinking time to myself if that's cool?" I looked to Axel and then to River who looked slightly disappointed I wasn't coming straight up to spend time with them.

"Everything ok Larry? You wanna...?" River began to question me, clearly recognising something was wrong.

"Y-yep! Everything's good, just need a little breather. I'll be up some time soon ok? You need me, text me?" I smiled which reassured her slightly as he gave me a sweet nod.