Chapter 115: Violet and Blue

Ashley's POV:-

We had tried everything but these metal bars would not budge in the slightest. Sal tried to conjure his powers but when we thought he had it, it faded and we were back to square one. Lisa held onto Sal's frail hands the entire time, trying to reassure him that he was doing an amazing job but I knew he was getting more and more frustrated with each failed attempt. 

"We're going to have to wait until the others arrive" Todd joined Lisa and I at Sal's cell. "The gearboy isn't designed for this sort of thing, only supernatural entities can be penetrated by its rays". 

"It was worth trying, Todd" Lisa smiled to him. "We had to try". 

"Any word from the others yet?" he turned to me, his eyes barely visible from behind his glasses.

"Not for a little while. I'm assuming they're getting closer as the signal sounded better when they last spoke to me..." 

"We need to check around for Axel too" Todd whispered. "So far we have two out of three people. Where the hell would they be keeping him?"

"Sal, you haven't seen Axel here have you?" I questioned him softly. 

"N-no..." his husky voice coughed. "Since Dad and I arrived, we haven't had any signs that Axel was even here..." 

"They must have him somewhere else. It's one thing having you and Henry here, but Axel would be River's main priority..." Todd theorised. "Not that you're not a priority for her Sal..." he quickly retorted and looked worried about his quick judgement. 

"N-no..." Sal spoke. "You're right. They would have separated us to make this harder for her. Why would they put all their eggs into one basket..." 

"Try the talkie again, Ash. See if the signal is any better..." Todd quickly changed the subject. 

"River?" I pressed down on the button. "Can you hear me?" 

"Ashley? You there?" the signal was now practically clear. 

"River! You must be nearby, I can hear you really clearly..." 

"What sort of thing are we looking for? A door? A tunnel?" 

"It's an old, wooden door with metal handle. There's a small window near the top with metal bars in it..." 

"Okay. We'll keep looking. We couldn't find a key..." My heart sank realising that we would have to keep trying different ways to get Sal and Henry out of captivity. "Ashley?"

"Yeah?" 

"Is my Dad there?"

Lisa, Todd and Sal caught my gaze and I didn't know how to respond. I felt awful being the one to tell her that no, we hadn't found her Dad hidden in the prison cells. As much as I wanted it to be good news, we would have to keep searching for any sign of Axel. 

"Sorry River..." I muttered. "No, he's not here..."

Naturally, I didn't get a response after that. I knew she had heard me but was clearly struggling to comprehend that these assholes had her Dad somewhere away from Sal and Henry. A few minutes went by and the walkie talkie hadn't made any sound. I wondered how far away they must had been to us in the first place and I realised, one of us had to go and stand near the door if we had any hope of them finding us. It was a miracle that we had stumbled upon the women in the first place, they had to race against the clock now and could potentially miss the door that was hidden in the shadows.

"I'm going to go and stand by the door. Keep an eye out for them..." 

"But that could be dangerous, Ash" Todd gulped. "We're lucky we're hidden in the prison cells..."