Chapter 96: A Special Little Listener

River's POV:-

I had been beside Travis all night. My eyes flickered between consciousness and slumber but not once did I feel rested. Every time he spluttered, coughed or cried, I was awake and tending to his every need. He didn't speak much, it was obviously too painful for him to do so. I knew I had to text Sal and Larry, I couldn't keep them waiting any longer. I didn't want them to come up yet, to bombard Travis with loads of questions that clearly he wasn't strong enough to answer. So I messaged them to keep them in the loop. 

R: Hey. I've got Travis cleaned up and he's resting. I'll message you both again later x

L: Riv, we need to come up. You can't be on your own with him... 

S: How's he doing?

R: Pretty bad shape. Managed to change him and bandage him up. Need to monitor him for a while longer and get him something to eat...

S: Want us to go and grab some things from the supermarket? Soup? Bandages?

R: That would actually be perfect. Thank you, Blue x

L: I'll borrow Mom's car and we'll go in a little bit. Do you want anything for you? 

R: Nah I'm good. I'll see you both a little later... Oh and please don't expect any answers to questions.. he's not in the right frame of mind ok? 

S + L: Okay x

They were both really understanding, all things considered. I knew it would be dangerous having Travis in my apartment, especially with everything going on at the moment. But, I couldn't have him anywhere else. Not where his Dad could just take him away again and do any more damage. 

A few hours went by, I dipped in and out of the room making sure he was still breathing and had enough blankets to keep him warm. I needed some rest, I needed to get some sleep but my brain continued to bash countless thoughts in my head. I went and laid on my Dad's bed, smelling his calming and familiar scent and just laid there. How were we going to get out of this alive? We needed answers and we needed to get them fast before they made their next move. We had been sitting ducks for far too long, it wasn't surprising that they hit us with this. We can't guarantee that Kenneth didn't dump his own son in my apartment, waiting for us to find his dead body. Little did they know, Travis was one the strongest people I knew. Despite despising him for such a long time, I knew there was something deep within his scrawny exterior that was good. That wanted to be good. God knows what he had been through growing up... he wasn't loved and nurtured like Sal, Larry and I. I hate to think about what would've happened if Kenneth knew that Travis was gay.. that he loved Sal and wanted to be with him. That's if he didn't already know and brought hell upon him. I felt for Travis, I really did and the more this pans out... the more I want to protect him and keep him safe. It was time to repay my debt that he made during the fire.. throwing me out first and having such a horrific fall. I wasn't going to let them come near him again. That was a promise. 

*************************************************************************

Sal's POV:-

We picked up just about every medical box that we could at the store. Wipes, bandages, plasters you name it and we had it. The store clerk looked at us strangely as he swiped each item through the cash register but we remained cool and didn't say a word. Who's to say that he wasn't part of the cult and was going to tell Kenneth this. I couldn't think about it for much longer as my paranoia was already so high that we paid and left. We loaded all the bits inside Lisa's car and began to drive back to the apartments before spotting a somewhat familiar face walking along the sidewalk.