Chapter 77: Inspiration or Confession?

River's POV:-
"Travis what the fuck are you doing?" I spoke through my teeth to defuse the panic I had just endured. "Don't sneak up on people like that, god!"

"I had to be discreet, if anyone saw me here then it would just unleash utter carnage..." he roughed up his slightly longer blonde hair, exposing a new cut on his cheek bone.

"What happened to you?" I glanced at the graze which made him run his fingers across it.

"None of your business right now. Look I came back to tell you that there isn't much time left..." he opened the door again slightly, checking no one was around. "I can't speak with you here, it's too dangerous. We need somewhere that no one knows about. Especially not my dad..."

I thought about it for a second, I hadn't seen Travis so on edge before, even though the majority of the conversations we had were short and often led to us fighting. After what happened a few weeks ago, no one had even mentioned Travis's disappearance, no one had said his name and not even the teachers seemed remotely bothered about whether or not he would return. I racked my brain hard, thinking of a place when I finally stumbled on a plan.

"I've got it!" I said loudly, prompting Travis to shush me immediately. "Sorry, look we have this treehouse by Addison Apartments. It's Larry's so I don't think it would be wise going there without telling him first. I need to tell Larry what's going on..."

"Ugh why would you need to tell him? Can't we just go when he's not there?" He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Look I'm trying to help you out here, if we go to his place we tell him we're going, got it?" I snapped back which made him sigh and nod in agreement.

"Fine. We can't go out together though, again will raise too much suspicion. We need to meet tonight. Call it 10 alright? Where is the treehouse?"

"It's literally round the back entrance of the apartments. In an old tree really high up. Most of the branches cover it, I'll tell the others..."

"No, it needs to be just you and I for now alright?" He snapped back desperately.

"Ugh, alright. I'll tell the boys to stay on look out."

"I don't think Sal will be doing too much looking will he? Considering all the shit he's been through recently..." his head bowed slightly and his voice dropping.

"How did you know about...?" I frowned, confused how he would know about Sal's accident when he hasn't been around.

"No time River alright? Just tell your pesky pals about the meeting but make sure they don't turn up alright?" He hissed.

I nodded in agreement and without another word, Travis pulled up his large hood again and left me in the boys toilets alone. I leaned back against the dirty tiles, feeling my heart beat viciously in my throat. What the fuck could Travis have to tell me that requires us to just meet alone? Where the hell has he been? I couldn't think about it now, I needed to leave the boys toilets before someone came in and found me here. I quickly opened the door, throwing myself out of the road before legging it down the corridor. As I grew closer to the lunch hall, I eventually found more students lurking around the place. There were very little people in our class at school now, people getting ready to finish the semester and school altogether. The only reason I came in was to catch up with Mitchell and possibly go to the Art Room for some solitude. I felt a rumbling coming from my stomach before realising I was starving. Stupidly, I didn't bring any snacks or lunch from home so it meant dining on the disgusting cafeteria food. The last thing I wanted to do was chow down on Kim's disgusting smelling Bologna or her rotten choice of main courses. I took in a deep breath before entering the cafeteria to try and find myself that didn't involve Kim's cooking.