Chapter 70: The Devourers of God Origins Part 2

T/W: this chapter contains language referring to suicide and murder. If you are triggered by any of these themes, please refrain from reading this chapter.
Thank you for your ongoing support with this story!

Jim's POV:-
"So wait a minute, you just essentially snuck in there and they never really questioned you on it?" Sal asked me confused.

"It was a different time then Sal and they were completely different to regular human beings. They would just take and take from anyone without really realising the destruction they would cause..." I replied feeling my nerves getting the better of me. "Plus they didn't really care who they hurt as long as they accomplished their life's mission..."

"Their life's mission?"

"Yes, their lives were simply pawns in what they wanted to achieve. To them, what they were doing was the greater good and would help humanity further along than God could ever do. They called it an accession to the highest praise in the universe..."

"So they would essentially risk their lives to something that really wasn't worth it?" Sal's eyebrow raised.

"To us Sal it wasn't worth it but to them it was EVERYTHING" I pause and collect my thoughts. "When I learned of what they wanted to do, it made me sick to my stomach. It was far deeper than sacrificing an animal or being a bit odd. It was... demonic..."

"Take your time Jim... this must be really hard..." the boy spoke softly and with genuine care.

"Alright, brace yourself... it gets pretty dark"

**********************************************

So it was around a year to 18 months after my 'induction' and the group finally saw me as an equal rather than just an engineer coming in to fix some prehistoric equipment that I still, to this day have no idea if they ever used. They promoted me to a council member which meant I had to attend every meeting to discuss the plans of where the group were going. Eventually, they began to use their real names which were The Devourers of God. At first, I was cringed out by the title but it wasn't until they started revealing what their true intention was to me, that I realised I had gotten myself into some deep, dark shit. Kenneth being the leader would deliver these prophecies about what the original cult predicted would happen in the future. It was said in the original predictions that if the Devourers were successful in implementing their plans they would be highly rewarded and would ascend higher than heaven and be blessed with a fulfilling afterlife. The plan mainly being, consuming all human life in a web of darkness to control the damaged and have them beg for mercy under their hands. In hind sight, they were essentially looking to be a higher force than God by devouring their faith to him resulting in their strength and uprising.

However that would only happen if they would destroy the entity that would subsequently ruin them, that being the Child of the Abomination. I remember the uproar the other cultists had when they mentioned those words, for me being a new Dad, I would never refer to a child being that of an abomination in any way but they certainly had other intentions. I turned to Luke, who had simply lost all sense of happiness during this period, with pleading eyes trying to get some sort of emotion from him. Nothing. I mean, the man was a Father himself, how could he essentially be in on their idea of slaughtering a child? Even Kenneth was a Father, Travis was only a few months old by this point and even he was so obsessed with destroying this 'heathen' that I knew I had to do whatever I could to stop this monstrosity of a plan from following through.  From then on out I made it my mission to foil whatever plans they were working on before it was too late. I wasn't fighting for Luke anymore, I was fighting to keep my child and others around Nockfell safe.

Unfortunately, my mission would become larger than just Nockfell. One night, we were all paged using our secret handsets to attend an emergency meeting called by Kenneth. I had to lie to Lisa saying that work had called me in to fix a repair to which she simply kissed my cheek and thanked me for all my extra work to provide for her and my young son.  It broke my heart lying to her but knowing my mission was going to protect her and Larry for the long haul made me fight harder than ever to keep my promise. When we arrived at the ministry, Kenneth was furious and possessed by a rage I had never seen before. His usual calm and collected attitude had been completely flipped upside down as he slammed his fists firmly on the book that was mounted upon the sacred pedestal. I remember Luke questioning what had happened only to be met with a sharp and vicious blow from Kenneth that knocked him to the ground. Luke's fragile state was so weak that he struggled to pick himself up from the floor without my help. Kenneth then went for me because I had helped Luke up, claiming that I was belittling him and causing the others to think he was a joke of a leader. Naturally, to keep my cover, I apologised and ass kissed him to holy heaven to fuel his never ending ego which seemingly was saved me for the time being.