Chapter 89: Plan of Action

Larry's POV:-

All the blood drained from her face when she looked at her phone. The bright background buzzed in and out and highlighted how truly exhausted she looked. My heart broke for her, it wanted to do everything it could to make things right, but it couldn't. I watched her slowly lift her shaking hand to her face, a single tear falling from her somehow still bright and violet eyes and her voice pushed through the fear.

"Hello?" she stuttered, letting out a slight cough. "Yes this is she..."

The phone call continued, River answering only yes or no questions which gave Sal and I no indication of what the conversation consisted of. We caught each other's gaze a couple of times, both lifting our eyelids to show concern before she finally said, "Ok.. I'll be there soon...". As soon as she ended the call, she completely broke down. Her legs became shaky, her stance growing weaker before Sal and I rushed to her side to catch her. We didn't ask straight away what happened or what the police wanted, we just held her, allowed her to get it all out before she told us what they had told her. By the way her cries echoed throughout the apartment, it wasn't going to be good news. We held her there, cradling her in our arms for around 10 minutes before her cries began to steady and she sniffled a few times. I looked to Sal, the concern on his face being the only emotion that he showed. I absorbed it all, fighting off the urge to cry myself with how painful this was. Seeing River in this state, really broke my heart as it only made me realise this was going to be another traumatic event for her. How much could physically and mentally attack this girl? It was just so hard seeing her this way... and there was nothing I could do to make it better...

"What happened Riv? What did they say?" Sal's deep voice came through as he cupped her face with his hand. "What can we do?"

"T-they found my dad's car... d-down the side of a road..." she struggled for breath from crying. "I-it was a m-mess..."

"It's alright Riv..." I cooed at her, gently placing a hand on her knee. "Go slow..."

"T-they said they received a call... n-not too long ago from a man who had been in a wreck. He c-called 911 and the ambulance team were s-sent out..." she paused and lifted herself up slightly, resting against the couch. "When the ambulance and police came... they searched the car and the surrounding areas.. no signs of my dad..."

"So he was just gone?" I furrowed my brows. "Maybe someone had stolen your dad's truck, got into a wreck and ran off to avoid getting caught..."

"That could be..." Sal tried to reassure her. "What else did they say.."

"They obviously went to look inside the car, to see who was inside and they didn't find a thing. Only the shattered remains of the truck's windows scattered around the place with speckles of blood on the seats. They want me to come to the station where they've got my dad's truck and make a statement about where he could've gone or if anyone would be out to steal his truck..."

"We can take you Riv, I'm sure my Dad will let me borrow his car to drive us there?" Sal smiled weakly. "Whenever you're ready we can go..."

"I'm just so worried. Dad's never done anything like this before, he's always so careful with his driving because of what happened to my mom. The only way he would've ever got into such a wreck is by avoiding someone or something... my guess is, someone.."

"What makes you think your dad was being followed?" Both Sal and I asked in unison.

"I asked my Dad to go and find out what happened to Travis in the hospital. Maybe he heard something he shouldn't have and someone wanted to silence him? With everything that's happened with the cult and what they must know about us, they're slowly killing us off one by one..."