Chapter 101: Time's Ticking

River's POV:-
So it was decided. As much as I wanted to get telling Lisa and Henry what was going on, we all decided to wait until speaking to Travis. It took a lot of convincing but after some back and forth the boys agreed with me. If we could find the prophecy book, speak to Travis about where to hit them.. we could all be on side together. The last thing we want to do is put Lisa and Henry at risk, but the more of us there are. The better.

It had now been one week since we found Travis near death on my bedroom floor. Despite having no medical knowledge, he was making a good recovery. The swelling around his eye had essentially gone, only the dark circles and vicious bruises remained. He was beginning to sit up more independently, speaking to me more and eating as much as he could before he became too weak. I spoke to him as a normal friend would, trying to keep the conversation light and simple. Deep down I knew I had to speak to him about his dad soon, to see if he could remember anything about his attack... but there was something holding me back. I couldn't bare the thought of Travis in such agony again, the pain across his face and his aching cries forever imprinted in my memory... but Lisa and Henry were now sitting ducks. There had been no sign of my Dad, no clues... nothing. The chief continued to check in daily with both Lisa and I, ensuring I was still staying with them and not poking into anything to do with the police. Of course, I had mainly been staying in my apartment, Larry and Sal popping in and sometimes staying with me. They took shifts, one night spending it with Travis and I, the other down with their parents. Thankfully, Henry was down the hall to me so if anything was to happen we would hear it. It wouldn't be as easy when it came to Lisa so, we had someone checking in with her more.

It had come to the night when Sal stayed at home, leaving Larry and Travis with me. The atmosphere between Larry and I was still bizarre. I knew what had happened and I think now, despite my best efforts he knew I knew. I think he tried to bring it up with me the other night but quickly stopped himself to avoid any awkwardness. I mean, part of me wanted to speak with him about it, get it out in the open but again, did I really need to hear it from him? Did I need for him to admit what he was thinking about me? Why did I? I had Sal... I had my beautiful Sal... but something was bringing me in. I did my best throughout this week to not think about it. To not remember Larry's raspy voice calling for me, like a siren would sing before killing the men at sea. But it was constantly in the back of my mind, gnawing in my ear begging to hear it again. Would I react the same if it was Sal? I mean... we did have that run in back in Michigan... no stop it River. You're tormenting yourself.

"River?" A voice came. "You ok?" I checked my surroundings, seeing Travis beginning to sit up on my bed and lean against the bed post. He groaned as he shuffled upwards, trying to make himself comfortable but you could see he was still stiff. "You're so lost in thought. Anything going on in there?"

"Oh I'm just thinking is all. All I'm ever doing really..." I chuckled and tried to brush it off. "Guess I'm just waiting to see when the cult will surface..." that's it River, make it about them.

"It wouldn't surprise me if my Dad was preparing something. If he hasn't done so already..." Travis pressed his lips together tightly before looking at me. "River, I never had the chance to thank you for that night. If you didn't help me, well.." he paused. "Well I simply wouldn't be here speaking to you right now would I?"

"No..." I smiled weakly. "I guess you wouldn't be... I can't take all the credit though. The boys were helping me..."

"True... but that night when you showered me. Made sure I was ok.. that must have been really hard for you to deal with. Especially since well... we're not exactly close and I'm sure you know my feelings about Sal..."

"Yeah.. I know" I smile and give his hand a squeeze. "I haven't told anyone you know, it's not my place. I know he's my boyfriend and all but I can't help but feeling it's very sweet.."