Chapter 102: More Fallen Soliders

Larry's POV:-

We all sat there in silence for what felt like an eternity. I could not believe the book was hidden behind River's drum kit all this time. I looked at her, small sobs echoing through the room as she was once again tormented by the thoughts within her brain. My gaze travelled down to her arms, they shone a beautiful shade of violet as she connected with the book. I felt my breath becoming shaky as I admired her beauty. I would never grow tired of looking at that beautiful shade of violet.

"My d-dad... he" she whispered, removing a small post it note from the book. "He knew this would be important... he hid it the only place I would know..."

"The drum kit?" I smiled at her weakly, her gaze moving to me as she reciprocated my smile.

"I used to hide everything in there. Anything I didn't want them to see, like drawings or projects that weren't finished..." she wiped her eyes. "That was until one day I didn't seal it properly and Dad found it all. Told us it would be our little secret... and now.." she paused, looking down at the floor. "He did this for me. He knew I'd need this for what we were doing, and I fucked everything up"

"No" I whispered, cooing to her to calm her cries. "Your dad is our superhero. If we had lost this book, then we'd have no idea what we were dealing with. Your dad is a mastermind!"

"He's right River. If your dad never hid the book, my Dad would have this back in his grips and chances are, we'd all be dead by now". Travis paused, groaning as he tried to get himself out of bed. "That's why they dumped me here, it was a chance for them to look and see if you had the book. When they couldn't find it, they thought why not let you find me? That was the motive..."

"But everything was exactly how we left it.." River frowned. "How could they have.."

"Oh they're clever fuckers River. Chances are, they saw how everything looked and put everything back the way they found it. It would give them the opportunity to be one step ahead. When they couldn't find it, they dumped my body here as a warning. Not just that they were coming, but that they've already been. I bet that's why we haven't heard anything from them this week I've been here. They're probably out searching for wherever the book is..."

"Do you think that's why they may have Axel? They think he may have had the book in his truck from the hospital?" I asked Travis.

"Absolutely. They run Axel off the road, searching through the truck and finding no evidence of the book there. They take Axel out of the truck, take him away and come searching the apartment next. When they couldn't find it here, they've been thrown off their trails. Your dad has saved our asses River. We've got the upperhand here!"

"We need to get Sal. Now" I stood, looking directly at the door. "We need to read this book before they come sneaking back round here again.."

"You're right. Go and get him. We need him" River spoke softly, placing the book down in front of her, causing the glow to flicker out. "I need him here..."

I nodded, heading for the door and reaching for the handle... but stopped myself. Something felt wrong. Something in my gut felt wrong. Like something had happened and I couldn't place my finger on it. I looked through the peephole, everything appearing as it normally would. I looked around as much as I could but the view wasn't exactly great. I took in a deep breath and shakily unbolted the door. Slowly, I opened the door peering around into the dark hallway, the lights flickering as they always do. Nothing out of the ordinary yet.. I closed the door behind me, quietly moving down the hallway towards Sal's door. I felt my stomach doing flips and my head began to feel dizzy. Ugh, what was happening to me? Why did I feel so on edge? The cult weren't here, they weren't here at all... was it all after finding the book? Was it that this was all soon going to end and reality was beginning to settle in? As I got closer and closer to Sal's door, that's when I immediately sensed something was wrong. I felt the air escape from my lungs and into the painfully quiet hallway. Come on Larry, this could all just be in your head. There is nothing to worry about. It's Sal's. He and Henry were probably chilling on the couch with Gizmo, watching some shit on the TV and eating a microwaved meal. Why am I putting myself through more stress? I took in a deep breath as I finally got to Sal's door. As I was about to knock, that's when I heard a big thud coming from the other side of the door. What the fuck was that?