Chapter 9: Haunted Memories

River's POV:-

It had now been 3 months since I moved to Nockfell and into the eerie building that was Addison Apartments. Things between the gang and I blossomed and I felt myself letting go and becoming a lot more open with them. There were many things I kept to myself, somethings I wasn't ready to share with them yet but I was pleased with the progress I was making. There had been no problems with Travis during this time either, we all just dealt with his vile stares as we entered a classroom, the cafeteria or even left a space he was in. I could tell something was brewing but tried my best to focus on the here and now rather than what not might be.

Today was a particularly dull day, it had been raining for days and we often spent as much of our free time at Larry's in the basement. Ashley and Todd would come along too whenever they didn't have mountains of assignments or art projects due but often it would be just Larry, Sal and I. There were days when I couldn't make our hangouts down at Larry's as I would have my own projects to complete so I spent some more time with Ashley which was really nice. I never thought I would ever have a female friend considering everything that happened in Michigan. If I'm being completely truthful, there was still a part of me that couldn't feel completely comfortable with Ashley and that wasn't remotely her fault. I knew how much of a caring and thoughtful person she was but because of my precious experiences dealing with girls in Michigan, I found myself quite reserved around her. The time we spent together, she gave me no reason to doubt her at all and I think she was beginning to notice how I was act around Larry and Sal as opposed to her.

It was finally Friday so it meant Ashley and I had a double period of Art together. Fortunately, many people went off to complete their projects elsewhere but as Ashley and I were painting, we needed the equipment from the classroom. I was sketching some designs for my final piece which was beginning to come together. I finally had something I was happy to paint which made me really happy. I just hoped it would be as amazing as the thoughts in my head.

"Hey Riv, can I ask you something?" Ashley poked her head round her large canvas that was placed on an easel which completely hid her from my sight.

"Of course. What's up?" I look up at her.

"So please don't think I'm being really funny... and please tell me if I'm just overthinking it but are you happy spending time with me?" Her face dropped slightly, I knew it was getting to her and I felt so bad knowing I made her feel so uncomfortable.

"Oh Ash, I really do. I'm really sorry it's just... I haven't had the best experiences being around other girls... that's all..."

"Do you want to talk about it? You don't have to if you don't want to but maybe it might make you feel better? I would hate for you to keep things bottled up..."

"It's just um... it's hard to talk about really..." I look down to my sketchbook and notice my hands beginning to tremble at the thought of my previous school.

"Hey?" Ash walked over and placed her cold, tiny hands on top of mine. "I promise I'm not anything like them. You can trust me" a small smile appearing on her face.

I had to face this. I couldn't keep hiding things anymore. I had kept things hidden for so long that maybe Ashley was right. Maybe talking about it might lift some of the weight off my shoulders. I took in a deep breath, trying to calm the anxiety that started to fill my stomach.

"Go slow. Whatever you want to do, I'll be here to help you. If it's too much then we can stop ok?" Her gentle voice soothed me and allowed me to feel like I could open up to her.

"Ok... it's just really hard. It happened two years ago... at my last school in Michigan. I had been in my town since I was a baby, I was often known as the devil child due to my eye colour and people believing that my parents sinned therefore giving me this genetic mutation. School was really tough, I had no friends and no one to look out for me when I was being bullied every single day. It was always by the same three girls in particular..." I felt myself growing warmer and more anxious. Ashley moved her hand to my forearm and gave it a small squeeze which only proved her point, she wanted to help me.