Chapter 47: The Mask

Sal's POV:-
As Larry and I walked into the home, I took one last look around before we had to leave. I can honestly say I feel refreshed and back like myself after these two weeks away. Yes, River has dealt with some really severe trauma these past two weeks and both Larry and I have witnessed it first hand, but if anything I feel we are stronger as a unit now. Seeing what she went through, through her own eyes has allowed me to feel closer to her than ever before. I mean, imagine I'm just a boy, who's had his fair share of battles experiencing that of someone he cares so deeply about. It's taken a lot for me to decide this, but when we get home I'm going to tell her everything about my past. What good is it that there are secrets between us, particularly on my half? I had no reason to doubt her, no reason to not receive her support, I loved her and I wanted to know every part of me, no matter how difficult it was going to be.

"Hey dude! There's something on your bed!" I hear Larry from upstairs and roll my eyes that he has interrupted my thoughts.

"Coming!" I yell before quickly running up the stairs.

As I walk into our room, I see a small gift bag sitting on my bed. The bag is small, white with little blue wrapping fluff inside. I raise my eyebrow, not quite knowing why the bag was on my bed but I was also strangely intrigued. I look to Larry who immediately shrugs his shoulders, hm, can't be from Larry then. I walk over and sit down beside it, nervously moving away the wrapping paper from inside. I small a small note, beautifully handwritten with;

Sal, thank you for everything you do. I know it's not much, but I hope it's better than what you have.
Love you blue
River xo

I was confused, what on earth could she be talking about? And when did she have the time to buy me a gift!? I move the paper to the side and finally reach the gift. I stroke across the gift with my hands, it was extremely smooth. Slowly, I pull the gift from the bag and I feel my face loosen as I see what she's done. It was my old prosthetic, it had been remade.. did River do this...?
As I place the mask on my lap I am at a complete loss for words. It was remarkable. Each piece had been crafted with the upmost patience, the white reflecting from the sunlight coming in from the window, almost sparkling. But the biggest detail that caught my eye was the softly painted pink section that she had decided to keep. I felt tears feel my eyes as I glided my fingers across it. She had hand painted this part on, in the exact colour my prosthetic had before Red Eye had destroyed it.

"Oh my god dude... it's your prosthetic..." Larry came over to have a look. "How did this...?"

"She remade it..." I interrupt him, my cheeks rising as a smile graces my face. "She kept all the details Larry... even the pink..."

"Man... she doesn't know what it means does she?" I look up and see Larry's dark beady eyes looking down at me.

"No... she hasn't got a clue... but yet she kept it when she made this. I can't believe it... wait... theres something else on here..." I feel the underneath of the prosthetic, something fairly raised.

I turned the mask over, admiring all the craftsmanship she has put into it. A small message engraved caught my eye and my heart fluttered as I read it.

You are truly beautiful, never forget it

It was her handwriting, she left a small message for me to read every time I put this thing across my skin. Something that I could read to lift me up when I was feeling low, I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have her in my life. It takes a lot to craft something this detailed, but to add a loving message behind it truly made her the best person to ever live. I smile as I begin unclipping my locks on this temporary mask. Thank god I was removing it, it was the least comfortable thing ever. I let my face breathe for a second before putting it on, I just wanted to look at it forever. My girlfriend had made me this and I would be forever grateful for such a thoughtful gift. I raise the mask, positioning slowly across my face. It fit like a dream, she must have used the old one for a reference. I popped my eyes into their holes and began to tighten the straps behind me. Once it was on, I walked over to the mirror and just admired it for a second. I hated wearing a prosthetic for so many years, just feeling so out of place and essentially like a walking circus act. Now, I was proud to walk around with this on. Because it was made by River. I smiled behind the mask, it slowly lifting to indicate to Larry I was happy.