Chapter 48: The Gang's All Here

Sal's POV:-

When we returned home, we helped Axel unload the truck and carry the luggage upstairs. It was hard work, even despite using the elevator but I think we were all so chilled out from our trip, it was difficult to return to normality. Of course, nothing had really changed in two weeks, the weather was dull, grey and dark as it usually was. It wasn't the bright and airy feel like Hillsdale. I couldn't help but feel a bit down as we had to come back to these depressing place, especially after having so much fun with River, Larry and Axel. Something that was helping me feel slightly better was the party we were planning. I couldn't wait to spend some time with the gang, playing games and just being in each other's company. It felt like forever since we had last been together as whole. I mean, it hasn't really happened since River moved to town, I suppose we were just making sure she was secure and felt welcomed that we completely forgot to arrange a group stay over. 

Well tonight was the night, we were all going to have fun. I was more determined than ever to just let my emotions go and just enjoy myself. I knew that Ash would be getting alcohol for tonight's antics, it was just a little something to make us feel that bit older than we were. Lisa never minded as long as we were in her house rather than on the streets. The only rule was, no sick whatsoever or she wouldn't allow it again. Luckily, we were all pretty good, there was only one time that we thought, shit it's going to happen but fortunately Todd held it in. I laughed to myself reliving that memory, how Todd was forced to do some Vodka shots by Larry after losing a game. The poor dude had his hand over his face for ages, forcing himself to keep the sick down. Can't have been good for him at all. 

I never joined in with the drinking aspect of the sleepovers, I was just happy spending time with my friends. I suppose it was all due to the fact I had had a lot of addiction in my family that I didn't want to expose myself to that incase it ever happened to me. Plus, I tried a small sip of a beer once and it was the most vile thing I had ever tasted. It was pretty bad after my Mom died, Dad would be drinking constantly as a coping mechanism which ultimately made him quite difficult to be around. I remember being in New Jersey and I had finished school, I was waiting and waiting for Dad to come and collect me but he never showed up. I didn't live too far from my school so I just ended up walking home. It wasn't until I returned and banged on the door that Dad realised he had fallen asleep in a drunken state. That was the moment he woke up and stopped drinking altogether. I was lucky, he was never violent with me, never put abused me mentally or physically he was just depressed after losing my mom. When I stood in the doorway, no more than 9 years old, he realised that enough was enough. He had allowed his young child to walk home, on a busy street and anything could've happened. I mean, I was wearing my prosthetic I was an easy target for bullies of any age. I still remember his expression as he opened the door, almost like he immediately sobered up from his binge. He broke down in tears, hugging me tight and apologising for his poor parenting and his behaviour. I remember him crying in my ear, promising he will get help for not only the alcohol but for the grief too. So that's exactly what he did, he joined AA, he went to meetings and eventually he cut it off completely for a few years. Nowadays, he'll have the occasional beer whilst watching the ball games, seeing friends or going out for dinner but he would never drink more than 2/3 incase he slipped back down the rabbit hole again. I didn't want to have to put myself in the position in the first place, so I just simply didn't drink. I wondered if as I got older, I would learn to like the taste, whether it would effect my time with my friends or not. I mean Larry and Ash would always go full on, getting really drunk and looking like they really enjoyed themselves. I couldn't lie and say I wasn't curious about seeing the world through their eyes in that state but for right now, I was happy doing my own thing. 

**************************************************************************

It had been a few hours since returning home, the group chat was buzzing like crazy which often meant I was laughing out loud, much to Dad's delight. I said I wanted to spend some time with the old man before I ended up back out for the night. When I mentioned to Dad about the little party thing we were doing, he was thrilled to see me so chilled and excited for something. He also mentioned that he was happy to see I was spending time with Ash and Todd again as he hadn't heard their names in a while. I suppose he probably thought maybe we had an argument or something as he was right, I haven't mentioned those two for a while and that was entirely my fault. I really hoped they didn't feel like I didn't care about them anymore but that's completely false. I adored my friends, they were like family to me. I mean, Ash in particular was also so helpful and really wanted to support me through my transition to Nockfell. We spent a huge amount of time together and quite honestly, it was a really lovely experience. I suppose that's why I wanted to make River feel so comfortable, because that's exactly how Ash made me feel when I moved here. I used what she had done for me, for River.