Chapter 14: Out of Body

River's POV:-

Oh my christ... my head. I couldn't describe the ringing in my ears as well as the thick pounding on my temples. Was I dreaming again? Perhaps the nightmare that I have just seen in Apartment 403 was all a disgusting, vivid dream and I was sleeping peacefully in my room with Sal by my side. It's happened before, where I believe my dreams are so perfectly real but wake up abruptly due to the ringing in my ears. I grab my floor around me, trying to pull myself up... wait a minute.. is this carpet? No it's not carpet.. it can't be.. I was just in the bathroom, how can I now be on a carpeted floor?

I opened my eyes, my vision slightly blurred and the room spinning. It was dark, no source of a light but yet I felt strangely comfortable after the commotion. As I begin to feel my vision working properly, I adjust my eyes to see I am now in the middle of a living room. It's cold, damp and gives me a peculiar feeling. It's definitely not my living room, but I know I'm in Addison Apartments due to the layout of the room I am now in. I run my fingers across the back of my neck, touching the base of my skull as I do so and look down at my hand. It is covered with fresh blood. I knew that it would be my own as I hit the ground pretty hard when I collapsed... but why was I no longer with Larry and Sal?

As I began to feel my strength returning, I decided it would be best to try standing to try and gage what the hell happened and why I was now here.

"Hello?" A high pitch voice called behind me.

I turn round and scream to see a small infant child standing before me. She did not look entirely human, her skin pale with a purple sheen to it. Her veins were protruding and the tips of her fingers dark and cracked. I could feel my chest tightening again but I could see the fear in her eyes too. I didn't want to scare her, she was only a child...

"Hello" I splutter and wipe my eyes from the tears. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you..."

"Who are you?" the girl tilted her head to the side and spoke with her innocent voice.

"I'm River..." I go down to my knees to be at her level to make her feel comfortable.

"Oh my gosh!" She shrieks. "Your friends with Sally" a huge smile forming on her face.

"Erm, yes I am. Larry too... wait a minute..." I pause thinking back to my conversations from earlier. "Megan?"

"Yeah! I'm Megan!!" She shrieked again and clapped her hands. "How do you know me!"

"Sal mentioned you. Today funnily enough..." I smile weakly now realising I'm speaking to a dead girl.

"Oh Sally is the bestest. He's so nice and kind and he's just um.. he's just um..." her pale skin now beginning to blush.

"Megan do you have a little crush on Sal?" I giggled.

"No! Boys are gross!" She stuck out her tongue. "Sally Face is just really kind I guess..."

"Megan.. can I ask you something?"

"Anything! A friend of Sally's is a friend of mine!" Megan plops herself down and crosses her legs, placing her elbows on her knees.

"Where am I? Why am I here?" I mimic her body language.

"Oh..." her smile fades and she pushes back a strand of her long hair. "You're in my old apartment..."

"This was your home?" I question and suddenly feel very sick.

"Yeah. Long time ago now. Mommy and Daddy lived here too... but Mommy doesn't like to come back here..." Megan closes up and begins to show signs she's scared.

"Hey, I won't hurt you" I smile. "You can trust me sweetie"

"It's not I don't trust you. I know you're a good person River. I've seen you for ages now. It's him who doesn't trust you..."