Chapter 36: Home Sweet Home?

River's POV:-
It was such a long journey in the back of Dad's truck. I took in every peace of scenery as we went through countless towns across State. The only time we stopped was when Larry was so desperate to piss I honestly thought he was going to go in the back of the truck. I giggled as he always made me laugh, despite not even trying this time. We were about 30 minutes away from my old home town. I looked around the truck, Larry now sound asleep and Sal surprisingly following suit. I smiled as I saw him finally getting some rest after such a long journey. I wanted so desperately to return to normal, speaking and acting as myself but I was still in such shock that speaking actually terrified me. I looked and caught my Dad's attention in the central mirror.

"You okay kiddo?" He whispered. I nod back at him and give him a smile. "You excited to see if the town has changed since we left?"

I looked down, I was really anxious about coming home. Considering everyone who teased me and was so vicious to my family would no doubt still be living there. I sighed and Dad instantly caught on.

"Riv? Are the boys asleep?" I look back and see the pair breathing deeply which indicated they were still asleep. I looked back to Dad and nodded. "Now River, I'm not going to force you to do anything sweetheart, it's your life and you can choose what you do and do not share. Perhaps it may be time to show the boys a bit more about you, like our old house, your old high school and your favourite places. I understand if it will be too much, but they're your best friends, they would never want to see you hurt darling. Maybe sharing that part of your life will allow you to break free from that too? I know you've carried a huge amount of trauma from Hillsdale, but maybe being here, reliving it and allowing your mind to let them go will in turn let you be free?"

I looked down, twiddling my thumbs trying my best not to start picking them. I had been trying to hard to break this horrid habit but now it was proving difficult.

"Riv?" Dad caught my attention again. "Do whatever makes you comfortable darling. If you see any of those wicked girls, you come straight home or you tell Sal or Larry immediately. You don't have to tell them why, just tell them and they will let me know. Do you understand? Do not give them your time of day..."

I nodded quickly, it didn't even dawn on me the fact I would most likely see Stacey and her wicked bully bots. Somehow, I wasn't so afraid of seeing them. They ruined my life for so long that I actually wanted them to see me with friends, to see me with people who genuinely cared for me rather than following me for popularity. I smiled at Dad, indicating I had heard him loud and clear before returning back to my position. As I went back, I felt the boys stir and begin to stretch.

"Man, my neck..." Larry reached up and massaged his nape. "How long was I out?"

"Only a majority of the journey Larry" Dad chuckled from the driver's seat.

I looked to Sal and he began readjusting his prosthetic before fixing his gaze on me. I smiled at him, giving his hand a soft squeeze as we entered my old home town, Hillsdale. Even though it was summer break, this town would always have snow. I always loved how the snow would shimmer under the sunlight. It's gentle and soft white puffiness as you picked it up with your hand and watched it crumble as it melted. As much as I hated the occupants of Hillsdale, I loved this town. I felt my soul beginning to heal almost instantly as we drove around all the old places Dad, Mom and I used to go.

Eventually, after about 10 minutes of driving we finally pulled up to this large Victorian home which looked very similar to my old family home. Dad stopped the engine as pulled up onto the drive before opening the door and letting out a large groan. I giggled as he began to mutter how old he was getting but how good it was to breathe the good ol' Michigan air again. Larry, Sal and I followed suit and crawled out of the truck. I heard the snow crunch underneath my Dr Marten boots which sent a shudder down my spine. I looked around, luckily we were only a short distance away from the River I used to sit by and the Cemetery where Mom was buried. This house was not actually to far from my old home, where I grew up with such loving parents. I wish Mom could be here now, exploring the old place but with Sal and Larry. Oh mom would've loved the boys, the stupid nature but the softness they had inside. I think she would've particularly enjoyed playing around with Larry, they had a very similar sense of humour, I wonder if that's why I always found Larry so hilarious.