Chapter 45: Axel's Love

River's POV:-
Well it was our last day in Hillsdale which of course meant packing and getting all our shit together. Initially when dad mentioned this trip, I was so nervous about returning to a place that destroyed me so much mentally but now.. I'd come back here whenever I had the chance. I was able to reconnect with my Mom, spend time with Dad, Sal and Larry as well as finally understanding a bit more about what happens deep within my soul. After the night of trauma, the boys promised never to speak about it unless I was ready to. It was amazing knowing it was finally out in the open and I didn't have to hide a huge part of me from them anymore. I mean, when it comes to sharing with Todd and Ash back in Nockfell, it may take me a slightly longer period of time but I know now I can do it and it actually slightly excites me. I could feel myself changing, my confidence returning and feeling more like the true River. Whoever she was anyway.

As a side project, I've been working on fixing up Sal's prosthetic for him. I could tell how much he found the temporary one irritating. It wasn't his usual fit and whenever he wore it, he didn't look like Sal. Whilst the boys were at home, I got up early shortly after arriving here in Hillsdale and went to the premium crafting store. I bought some real A Grade plastic so Sal could wipe down this prosthetic without worrying about it fading over time and losing its strength. I've spent countless hours, usually when I'm supposed to be sleeping, cutting, sanding and moulding this new mask around his old one. Today was the day I had finally finished it, so I decided to put a small engraving inside so only he could see it. A small touch to show him how much he meant to me. I lifted it up, seeing the sunlight reflecting upon its shiny new exterior. I was so proud of making something for someone so special. Never in a million years did I ever expect to make a mask for someone, but if it was for Sal then I'd do it a million times over.

I popped the prosthetic inside a bag, coating it with some ruffled wrap and skipped out into the hallway. As I made my way down to his room, I knocked on the door... no answer. Hmph. I sneak inside and it was empty, oh well, he can find it when he comes back! I pop the small bag on his bed, writing a small note inside and skipping back out into the hallway and closing the door behind me. I wonder where dad was? I head downstairs, hearing the TV first and then Dad's loud screams as he grew more upset with the soccer score.

"Not going to plan ey Dad?" I giggled and folded my arms, perching in the doorway.

"These stupid jackasses I tell you Riv!" He laughs back and rubs his head. "Hey fancy a stroll? The boys headed out for one last look around the town so I thought we could do the same!"

"Sounds great Dad. Actually I've got something to show you..." I smile knowing exactly what I wanted to do today.

The both of us got on our warm clothes, locking up the house and heading straight to where I ended up on the first day. Dad almost knew immediately where we were going and without hesitation, walked into the nearest flourish and picked up some of Mom's favourite flowers. Even after all this time, he would still buy her favourite flowers just to carry a little piece of her with him. I felt my heart flutter as I saw his eyes light up, the bright yellow tulips radiating their beauty in the sunlight. I could see Dad's demeanour change as we got to the metal gates. He was anxious. I look down, grabbing his gloved hand with a tight squeeze and shot him a large smile which he returned.

"Hey I've just realised... you're not wearing any foundation kiddo?" He smiled and leaned in closer. "Looks good on you, you're glowing"

"Let's just say I'm ready to accept my flaws now. I don't need to hide anymore" I smile back and we continue on our path until we find her grave.

I could feel her presence almost instantly as we approached her stone. Her beautifully engraved name sparkling as my Dad specifically grew nearer. If there was any way of getting my powers unlocked, I had to do it today for my Dad.