Chapter 50: Time with Todd

River's POV:-

I couldn't believe what I was listening to. When I returned from the bathroom, I was shocked to see both Sal and Ashley missing. I asked Larry and Todd who explained Ashley asked to speak to him in the treehouse, I didn't think too much of it as I understand they have been friends for a long time but never did I think I would hear someone I was supposed to call my friend say they were in love with my boyfriend. I mean, how would you react to hearing something like this? My stomach dropped, my heart skipped a beat and I felt a huge amount of moisture in my hands. I didn't even intend to come up here and interrupt them, I was begging both Larry and Todd to show me the famous treehouse and I thought I would bring Sal a soda and Ashley another drink in case we wanted to chill out up there for a while. Instead, I witnessed something a girlfriend should never have to witness. Your boyfriend wanted by someone else. I mean what happened before we came up here? Did they kiss? Did he admit he had feelings for her either now or before? Countless scenarios entered my already anxious mind and due to the alcohol, my feelings were only heightened. The whole room was spinning, I couldn't focus on anything in particular, besides the small trickles of drink dripping below me. 

I looked at Todd and Larry who too displayed the same emotion as I was, they couldn't believe what they had heard. I felt Todd's small hand reach down to mine and intertwine his fingers with mine which allowed me to feel a little bit more grounded. I had never had an intimate moment with Todd before, so the fact he was thinking about my emotions right now really made my heart feel full, despite it aching like a bitch. No one said a word, Sal's face was dropping further down to the floor as he tried to look deep into my soul. I couldn't connect with him right now, it may not have been his fault but I feel really betrayed. Is this why I was invited tonight? For Ashley to admit to Sal she was crazily in love with him in hopes to push me away? I was fighting intensely with my brain as I tried to scramble something to say, but I couldn't. The room spinning was making me feel sick, I was desperately gasping for air and squeezing Todd's hand as tightly as I could. 

"Let's go outside" Todd leaned over and whispered in my ear. I could feel my eyes tearing up as I gently nodded. 

Todd guided me quietly guided me down the stairs, Sal's mutters of my name echoing through the wooden walls. Larry stood in front of Todd and I, holding his hands out to stop Sal from following us straight away. I needed some space, from the whole situation, including Sal. I shakily stepped down on the wooden steps until my feet finally hit the ground. I followed Todd back towards the apartment building, my legs feeling like they were going to collapse at any point. It was like jelly, the constant side to side movements, similar to the feeling of being extremely cold and trying to intensely to warm yourself. When we finally stopped, I reached into my back pocket pulling out a cigarette and putting it in between my lips. As I grabbed my lighter, my hands were shaking so much from all the emotion that Todd sweetly took the lighter from my grips and lit the end of my cigarette for me. I took in a large toke, holding it in my throat for a few seconds to feel the hit before slowly exhaling, my breathe shaky and determined not to begin crying. 

"I'm here whenever you want to talk ok? That was really rough..." Todd smiled and placed his hand on my shoulder. 

I nodded back to him, giving him a small smile to show how appreciative I was of his kindness. I never really spent time with Todd independently before. It was nice to see how sincere and caring he really was. Quite honestly, he could've stayed up in the treehouse with his friends and stayed loyal to Ashley as I know they were fairly close but he chose to come and keep me company and remove me from the situation before things would've most likely kicked off. I kept dragging on my cigarette, feeling the hit at the back of my tonsils before letting the smoke fill the air around me. The breeze was getting cooler as it brushed the base of my neck and sending a shiver down my spine which made me make this small sound. Todd noticed and gave me a smile, removing his jacket and placing it over my shoulders and giving them a small rub to attempt warm me. I smiled back and I wrapped up tightly in Todd's jacket, it smelt clean and fresh almost like a lemon. God I loved the smell of lemons, it calmed me so much and it gave me something else to focus on beside what was happening up there. When I finally finished my cigarette, I stubbed it out on the floor and took in my deep breath, I was ready to talk.