Chapter 63: A Thread

River's POV:-

"So what did you fancy doing Riv?" Larry's raspy voice asked as we made our way out of the apartments.

"I don't mind" I grabbed a cigarette from my deck and began to light it. "Anything you fancy in particular? I haven't seen you or the others for a while?" I digged.

"Oh erm.." Larry chuckled nervously and scratched the back of his neck. "They've all been super busy, you know with all the assignments and shit we have at the moment..."

"Yeah. Sure." I replied bluntly. I couldn't help it, I couldn't stand the fact he was lying to me about what they were doing to my face. "How about we go to the lake?"

"Sounds good to me" Larry smiled and led the way.

We spoke a small amount on the journey there, it was awkward and that's all because I was so majorly pissed off. When we arrived, I sat in my normal spot and looked onto the lake that sparkled under the sunlight. It was the only place in Nockfell that was actually beautiful, unlike Michigan that had endless supplies of amazing scenery. I had lived here for a while now and it still didn't really feel like my home. Even with all my new friends, the school and my Dad making friends. It wasn't the same. Don't get me wrong, I hated Michigan in the end because of all the trauma I went through, but somehow it still lured me in and that was for one reason only. My mom was there.

I spoke to her a lot through my necklace, asking what I should do and to see if she could give me a sign that Sal was ok, nothing. I felt myself getting lost in thought, staring across the small ripples in the water that mesmerised me every time I came here. Sal and I would often look for where the ripples were coming from, but today it appeared it was only the wind. Nothing exciting.

"Riv? You ok?" Larry put his hand on my knee which snapped me out of my trance. I looked down and saw him cup my knee cap gently and give it a little stroke.

I turned to face him, doing everything in my power not to go bat shit crazy. I had to be honest with how I was feeling and how much it hurt.

"I know what you've all been doing Larry..." I watched his eyes widened as I uttered the words. "I know you've been looking for Sal for weeks. Why wouldn't you tell me this?"

"Riv... we just..." his voice dropped as I could tell he was crushed.

"You just wanted to keep me safe, right?" I cut him off and he immediately nodded. "Larry, I know what happened was hard for everyone, trust me I've not fully come to terms with it myself but that doesn't mean I can't have a life. Lives are for making mistakes and taking risks and if I can't help look for my own boyfriend.. I think that's just damn cruel. I've watched you all sneak out and meet each other. I've heard the conversations you've had with my Dad behind my back... imagine if I did that to you with your mom?"

Realisation was beginning to hit Larry hit when I mentioned me doing that to him and shutting him out of finding his best friend. I put my hand on top of his and gave it a squeeze.

"I won't lie Larry, you've really upset me. I thought you out of anyone would understand where I'm coming from now more than ever. I've always had your back, always been fighting in your corner. Why aren't you fighting in mine? Are the others saying I can't handle it or something? Are they worried I'm going to run off myself in a state of panic?"

"N-no River. We all just want you to be safe, we don't want to lose you again under any circumstance. It's not that I didn't want you there to help us find him, I just didn't want to risk you getting hurt or scarred even more than you already are. That's not me being horrible, I just care so much about you and the thought of losing you again makes me feel so..." his eyes glassed over and a small tear escaped his long eyelashes.