Chapter 23: Stacey Holmes

T/W: This chapter uses language relating to death, murder and themes of domestic abuse. I have marked this story as mature for this reason so please read at your own risk. I will mention in any chapter what the themes may entail to ensure people are aware of anything that could be triggering. If any of the following themes are not suitable for you, please do not read.

Thank you X

River's POV:-

I knew I was asleep but something was bothering me. I did my best to ignore whatever my body was feeling and try and stay asleep but it proved difficult. I tossed and I turned, keeping my eyes closed and my mind at ease but it was no use. I sit up, rubbing my eyes and grabbing my phone to check the time. Shit seriously, it's only 12:30? What time did I go to sleep?

I scroll through my notifications, seeing a couple from Sal which were sent a couple of hours ago but I can only assume he's tried to get some sleep. I feel my heart race as I read the goodnight messages followed by an 'I love you' with a heart at the end. I was so happy knowing I had Sal as my boyfriend now, he made me feel so normal considering I really wasn't. I felt myself growing thirstier so I pulled myself out of bed and to the kitchen to get a new glass of water. As I walked through my dark apartment, something was off. It was suspiciously cold in here, whereas usually Dad has the heat cranked so high I often have to turn it off. I brush it off and continue to grab myself a drink. As I take a large swig of water, I place my glass down on the side and have a good stretch. As I open my eyes, I see a strange light reflecting on the tiles behind the sink. I turn to inspect what on earth could be glowing in my what was dark apartment. Slowly, I turn around and immediately jump out of my skin as I now knew I wasn't alone.

"Megan!" I gasp through my teeth trying not to alert my dad.

"River, there is no time..." Megan speaks quickly and begins to shake.

This was very unusual, when I first met Megan it was more of an outer body experience but now seeing her in the flesh it was clear she wasn't supposed to be here. Her form was shaky and jumpy, her body not fully realised except her large white eyes and long hair.

"Megan what are you doing in here?" I question her, feeling an overwhelming amount of anxiety.

"River, I can't stay. You need to help them..." Megan's voice growing more concerned and scared.

"Help who sweetheart? What's going on?" I go down to her level in hopes it will calm her down.

"Sally Face, he is looking into something too big for one person to do..." she pauses. "Larry is there too..."

"Where Meg? Where?"

"My house... my room... they're there... they have..." her voice is becoming faint and harder to understand.

"Slow down Megan, you're not making any sense..."

"Only you will see it... only you have the power to see it..."

"See what?" I question her quickly.

"504...504...504" she repeats before quickly evaporating before me.

I call for her, beg her to come back but the room returns to its regular temperature indicating she was no longer with me. I feel a stabbing pain in my head, close to what a migraine would feel like only worse. I instantly put my head firmly in my hands to contain the bulging feeling in my head but it won't go away. That's when I realised something, Sal and Larry were potentially in danger. I quickly run to my room, grabbing a pair of socks and throwing them on along with a large jumper. Without a second of hesitation, I run out of the apartment, closing the door quietly behind me and charge towards the elevator. I felt myself growing more concerned with every second I waited for the damn thing to come up/down. When the doors finally opened, I threw myself inside, pressing the button for the fifth floor about 12 times before the doors closed behind me. What on earth were the boys digging into? What did Megan mean that only I could see? It felt like an eternity before I could fly back into the dingy hallway. When the doors reopened, I was met with the same coldness I had just experienced in my apartment, was Megan back here? I called for her, pleading with me to lead the way but was met with no response. Wait, 504... did she mean Room 504? That must be it! I sprinted as fast as I could down the hallway and opened the door wide. I whispered for Sal and Larry but was met with no answer. I creep inside, the floor boards making a grotesque creaking sound behind me and continued to call for the boys.