Chapter 44: The Girl of My Dreams

Sal's POV:-
My heart ached, I've never experienced a lack of words before. She stood before us, after showing us such a horrific event in her life. I was livid, I was angry but most importantly, my heart broke for her. I couldn't believe how similar our situations were, how we both had no one to turn to, no one but our families. Seeing all those people, not one of them even checking her when she had thick, shards of glass protruding from her skin. Crying and screaming in pain, pleading for someone to for once, care for her. The only person that seemed to show a glimmer of hope was Cameron. I couldn't help but feel slightly jealous of him. He was everything I wasn't. Tall, tanned skin, ashy blonde hair and most importantly... a real face. I know it was no time for me to think of my own insecurities, but I couldn't help how my brain worked.

I turn my attention to Larry, his gentle cries as he trailed his eyes across River's body. I had no worries about Larry seeing this, she trusted him and so did I. I couldn't stand it anymore, I had to hold her. Slowly, I approach her, she hasn't looked up from the floor yet. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for her to be this vulnerable. It was frightening but also incredibly empowering.

My eyes scanned across her frame, her moderately broad shoulders covered in slashes and puncture wounds. I looked down to her arms, finally seeing them clearly. My stomach dropped as I saw many small lines, many that she must have done herself. I put both my hands on her shoulders, her head slowly lifting as we finally saw her crying fully. She raised her hand slowly, giving her face a really hard rub which removed all her foundation that covered her mark. Small puncture wounds speckled across her cheeks, intertwined with her freckles. The scar itself was still very pinky/red, thick and sparked off more than I realised. I gave her a weak smile, brushing my thumb across her soft cheek to wipe away the tears.

Slowly, she gave me a small smile back and turned herself around. I was shocked to see thousands of thick gash marks across her back. They started from her neck, trailing down to the base of her spine. Some thicker than others, obviously where thicker pieces of glass punctured her delicate skin. I traced over her marks, gently with my fingers and felt a majority of them were raised. Initially, she jumped, it made sense why she did in the bathroom this morning. It was incredibly new for someone to touch her, especially in a place so intimate. I gently put my forehead against her back, just slightly below her neck. I wrapped my arms around her ever shrinking waist and pulled her in tightly.

"You're so brave..." I whispered, my hot breath touching her now cold skin which made her get goosebumps. "Look at me..."

I heard her gentle sniffles as she turned back around, she looked at me with those beautiful violet orbs and wiped away the tears. I gently grabbed her hand, running it across my face. Her eyes opened wide, she had touched my skin before but this was different.

"We're the same, you and I..." I smiled and kissed her delicate hand. She gave a small smile as she continued to trace my skin with her soft finger tips.

I turned to Larry who was standing back, not wanting to interrupt anything that was happening. I outstretched my arm and called him over so he could come closer.

"I can't believe this happened to you Riv..." he whispered and tucked a piece of his long hair behind his ear. "I'm so sorry..."

"You have nothing to be sorry for Larry..." she spoke clearly. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you both sooner..."

"Hey now..." I look at her deeply. "You could've gone with never telling us what happened, you would still be our River. The coolest, sweetest and most beautiful girl we know. Nothing about this will change how we feel about you. Especially me. If anything, I feel closer to you know than ever before..." I smile.