Chapter 109: Packerton's Apartment

A/N: STRONG TRIGGER WARNING. 

This chapter contains mild descriptions of brutal imagery. I have refrained from in depth descriptions due its nature however wanted to notify you all of this. Within the game, it speaks about the cult's practices but I have tried to keep this light due to not wanting to upset you as readers. I will remind you that this story is rated 'mature' and the age set is 18+ due some pieces not being suitable for some readers. 

Thank you all for understanding and again, thank you all for supporting this story!

River's POV:-

It took some time before I felt ready to return to the living room. I really didn't want to, but I knew that we didn't have anymore time to waste trying to find my Dad, Sal and Henry. We had to find that hidden doorway and we had to find it today. 

Returning to the living room, the air was as thick as when I left it. Larry and I agreed whilst we were in his room that he would lead the next step as I just didn't have the strength to do it. So that is exactly what he did. We all sat on the couches around the TV and Larry began to explain that the hidden doorway was not in Todd's apartment, meaning that it had to be within the walls of Mrs Packerton's potentially empty home. Lisa explained that Mrs Packerton would stop every Thursday to pick up her mail before entering the apartment, staying for around 1-2 hours and leaving again. It wasn't set in stone as Lisa couldn't guarantee it happened every time but it was all we had to go on right now. It wasn't Thursday, meaning there was a strong indicator that she wouldn't be in. If she was, her car would no doubt be outside of the building where she usually pulled in. Lisa volunteered to go out of the back entrance and see if this was the case before returning with a smile. 

"It's not there. If we are going to do this, we need to do it now to ensure she won't come back in the mean time..." 

"Mom's right" Larry agreed. "We need to get moving on this shit quick before it comes round to bite us on our ass..."

"So how are we going to do this? Surely we need watchers and then others to enter the apartment and scope out the place?" Todd's voice of reason rose which then made us all think about our steps more precisely. 

"Personally, I think I need to be on the outside of the apartment" Lisa piped up. "If she is to return and I'm standing outside of the apartment, she shouldn't suspect me. I could simply say I'm doing to routine inspections". 

"It's a believable reason" Todd agreed. "However, you shouldn't be alone out there..."

"I think we need one person on the other side of the door inside, that way mom can communicate with a knocking system. We leave her with one of your small gadgets so she can defend herself if need be. The person on the inside will look through the peep hole and keep an eye on her at all times, also with some sort of weapon." 

"Solid choice" Travis joined in. "I also think we need someone by the main window, checking to see if the car approaches the outside of the building. That way, the internal door person can alert Lisa to this and she can either distract or make a run for it". 

"Good idea" Ashley tried to catch my attention but I didn't return her gaze. "I'll stand by the main window and keep look out. If that's ok with everyone?" 

"Sure" Larry looked to check on me. "If we put Todd on the internal door watch, Mom on the outside and Ashley by the window - that allows me and River to rummage throughout the apartment.."

"What about me?" Travis questioned. "What do I need to do?" 

"Do you think you're strong enough for this Travis?" I asked, my voice laced with worry. "I don't want you to end up back in the same position you were not too long ago..."