Chapter 5: The Bully

River's POV:-

As I walked up the steps with Sal, I felt my anxiety in my stomach. What started as slightly nervous butterflies was now a burning sensation of fear. I started feeling nauseous and the lack of sleep didn't help me remotely. I quickly throw my backpack onto my front and reach inside to grab some of my medication to help soothe me.

"Need some help?" Sal looked to me, his bright blue eyes locking onto mine.

"It's ok, I just need some of my meds... sorry..." I stumble over my words.

"Hey?" He paused and put his hand on my trembling arm. "You have nothing to worry about, honestly. The gang and I will do anything we can to make your time here easier. Remember, I was the new kid once I know how it feels..."

"You're right. Thanks Sally, I really do appreciate how kind you've been to me"

"That's what friends are for right?" Sal scrunched his eyes to signal his smile.

"We're friends? You sure you want to do that?" I look down to my thumbs and quickly realise I'm bleeding.

"Of course we are..." he looks down to my thumbs. "Oh, here let me help"

Sal reaches into his bag and quickly pulls out a small packet of pocket tissues. Without a second thought, he reaches for my hand and wraps the tissue around my finger to stop the bleeding. My once blooming anxiety almost began to melt as his soft and gentle fingers wrapped around mine. Neither of us said a word, quite honestly I didn't know what to say to him. We stayed like this for a few seconds before hearing the bell.

"Oh shit. I'm really sorry, uh, I didn't mean..." he stumbled.

"Hey, thank you" I smile and hold the tissue around my thumb. "We better get to class"

Sal nodded and we darted off to the classroom. The corridors were incredibly dull and looked slightly unkept, I suppose living in a town as small as this came with its expenses. Schools not being one of them. As we turned the corner, we saw our teacher standing in the doorway greeting some of the students as they entered.

Stood in the doorway was a small woman, couldn't have been any younger than the age of 60 and probably nearing the end of her career. Quite honestly looking at her, she should've retired 20 years ago at least.

"Good morning!" Her sweet and innocent voice called. "My name is Mrs Hill, you must be the new student here at Nockfell High. A pleasure to meet you sweetheart" she smiles.

"Pleasure to meet you too Mrs Hill. I am sorry we're slightly behind..." I smile weakly.

"That is no problem dear, it is your first day here, cut yourself some slack. I hope Mr Fisher here has been most helpful..." she turns to face my tiny friend.

"Of course Mrs H, anything I can do to help someone else" Sal nods.

"Very good. In you come you two. Sal take River to your table, you can be lab partners considering you do not have one. Would this be ok?" She looks back to me.

"Absolutely perfect" I smile and follow Sal into the classroom.

It was always very interesting seeing other students at different schools. You could almost read everyone in the room straight away. You naturally had your more popular students, the goths, the jocks and then the weirdos at the back of the classroom. I noticed we went further back to where the other "nerds" were which actually made me feel more at home. I wasn't the smartest of people but I still knew my stuff. I wasn't gifted with Science but it was always a subject I really enjoyed in Michigan. As I walked to my new space, I caught eyes with a blonde haired boy who was actively staring me out. I looked away from him but could still feel his glares as I approached my seat. Surprisingly, no one else really paid me any attention. It was actually the best thing that could've happened for me.