Chapter 34: Plans

Sal's POV:-
It had been one week since what happened with the Red Eye Demon in Room 504. Larry and I squashed our argument instantly as our first worry was River, she had completely stopped speaking. Larry and I would do our best to speak to her, try and bring her back to us. Yes, she was with us in the flesh, she was no longer being shown the terrors of the underworld however her soul was severely damaged. She was so concerned with me, making sure I was ok after chasing that fucker but at what cost. I could tell Larry was pissed off with me for going ghoul hunting, especially in my own mental state but I think he was also extremely worried about River.

Axel was asking us questions, wondering why his daughter was now no longer speaking to anyone. She wouldn't even speak to her dad, and that's what broke him the most. River was all Axel had and knowing that she was going through something so extreme that she couldn't even speak to him broke his heart. I spent a lot of time round there, trying to make her laugh, make her comfortable and safe but that didn't even work. Axel asked me to stay over a few times, to watch her and make sure she gets some sleep but that was horrifying. One night was particularly bad, I must have dozed off and the next minute River's standing in the middle of her room, throwing all her belongings around, screaming and crying. Axel came bursting in, grabbing his daughters wrists to prevent her from breaking everything she owned and to stop her hurting herself. I sat there, helplessly watching as a grown man sobbed, holding his daughter so tightly as she continued to scream in her sleep and attempt to hurt herself.

Most nights, she would wake up screaming, moving harshly or I would find her standing in the middle of her bedroom. My heart shattered every time she sobbed or anytime another memory of her past was broken. I thought it was time for me to give her some space, I wasn't helping and Axel was at his last legs.

"Sal? Can I speak to you for a minute?" I heard Axel call as I stroke River's stray hairs away from her face as she finally slept. I kissed her forehead lightly as I closed the door slightly and crept into the living.

"Yes Axel?" I avoided his gaze like the plague. I was wearing a spare prosthetic mask that I had from years ago. It wasn't my usual face but it had to do considering Red Eye snapped mine clean in half.

"I need you to be honest with me as I have nothing left. Has River spoken to you about anything? Anything that could've made her switch like this? She hasn't ever been in this condition before and it's getting to the point where I may need to seek higher help..." Axel rubbed his sore, red eyes. He has clearly been crying again.

What was I to tell him? Yes sir, I nearly died, your daughter possesses some sort of deep power to connect with the dead and she has witnessed the death of a mother and child in that time? How the fuck could I say that without sounding bat shit crazy myself? I wanted to tell him so desperately, I could see in his eyes that he was struggling so much. I don't think he's slept for days, most nights he ends up sleeping on the floor by River's bed whilst I keep watch. It was my fault, if I didn't go ghost hunting, Red eye wouldn't have caught me and River and Larry wouldn't have had to come and rescue me.

"No Axel..." I bowed my head. "She hasn't spoken to me about what's going on..." Technically; I was entirely lying as River's last words were that this cult of some kind had caused Luke to murder his wife and child.

"Sal, I may have to take her away for a while. Try and get some help from someone who can support her better than I can... am I a failure?" He started to sob.

"Axel..." I spoke, not knowing quite what to say. A grown man, a father was breaking down to a teenager and asking for advice. He must really be at an all time low. "You're not a failure at all, maybe River needs to confront her demons head on..."

"Do you think this is about what happened back in Michigan? Do you think someone may have triggered something in her?"

"In all honesty, I don't know what really went on in Michigan sir..."