Chapter 108: Repercussions

Larry's POV:-

I couldn't believe what had just happened. It all seemed to happen so fast that none of us were expecting an argument to erupt. As soon as River slammed the door on us, we all froze - not really knowing how to respond anymore. I felt so unbelievably uncomfortable in my own home and all I wanted to do was go out and smoke but I couldn't even do that. I looked over to Todd, his eyes flickering between me and Ashley, he had no idea what to do. I could tell he was dying to go and comfort the crying Ashley but he knew she was in wrong. Granted, Ashley coming in here and acting the way she was acting, it was completely unnecessary and she 100% needed to be knocked down a peg... but seeing the rage in River's eyes, seeing how much she wanted to go for Ashley...I wouldn't want to experience that myself. 

I finally gave Todd the look, signally him to go and comfort Ashley until she was calm enough for us all to resume our mission. Tensions were growing high within the group and it was only pushing us further and further away from finding Sal, Henry and Axel. We needed to work together if we were going to put a stop to this, not be at each other's throats. I'm sure the cult probably predicted this to happen, their smug faces probably overly excited about how we were plotting against them but failing because our emotions were getting in the way. When Todd went to comfort Ashley, my mom went and put the guitar in her bedroom for safe keeping and to avoid the thickness in the air. Travis proceeded to sit on the couch, intertwining his fingers to try and preoccupy himself. I didn't know what to do, I wanted to go and check on River but I knew she needed some space. I ended up placing myself opposite Travis on the couch, running my fingers through my hair and resting my elbows on my knees. God this was such a mess. Sal, what were you thinking tell Todd and Ashley what was going on? There had to be a reason other than just getting a new device from Todd? Was it just because he wanted them to know so they could help us? Was it to protect them? 

"I'm sorry..." Travis' soft voice came from opposite me. 

I lift my head, seeing that he was crying on the couch. I frown slightly, I'd never really seen him cry like this before. It was genuine and I could see how him being here caused a lot of tension between the group. 

"Me being here... I know it's not exactly what you guys want..."

"Don't man. Please.." I try and brush him off but clearly this was going to be the first time Travis and I were going to have a conversation like this. 

"No really". He paused, shakily wiping his face. "The way I treated you all over the years, it is one of my biggest regrets in life. I never want to be the bully. I never wanted to be the one to hurt you all".

"Then why did you?" I found myself asking, not really wanting to know the answer.

"It sounds stupid and so stereotypical.." 

"Humour me" I sat back in my seat, pushing my hair away from my face and staring at him. 

"All I wanted was a group of friends like you guys had. I just didn't know how to act with people..."

"Surely you must have known that being the douchebag you were that you were never going to friends acting that way?" 

"I know. I know everything I did was so incredibly wrong and I acted like a total jackass. I could never ask for your forgiveness because quite frankly, I don't deserve it for how I treated you. Just know, I really am sorry for everything Larry".

I could see in his face he meant his apology. It was the first time I had ever seen Travis act so sincerely. I had known him since kindergarten and he didn't always seem like such a raging tool. It wasn't until around 6th/7th grade when he started to change, blowing on anyone that he thought was weak. It was like he was trying so hard to establish some sort of power wherever he could. It only got worse when Sal joined our high school, it was like a new person he could put all his focus on. He backed away from Todd, Ashley and me and put all his aggression on him. Sal being much shorter than us, wearing a prosthetic and having bright blue hair in pigtails - that was a target made in heaven for Travis. Sal had dealt with bullies back in New Jersey but yet, he took each attack from Travis honourably. He never seemingly let it bother him and I was always so impressed by that. I suppose, when you've been through as much shit as he had early on in life, nothing could stop him.