6 - Trial

I woke up to the eager face of Papyrus, who looked pretty happy to see me.

"Brother, I have memorized every hall and room of the entire building and gathered a bunch of information for anything you need to ask about! Nightmare and Killer are in the living room at the moment." He stated.

"You're the best, Paps. Can you give me some general information?" I requested.

"Sure, brother! Nightmare is the Guardian of Negativity, opposite to his brother, Dream; they do not get along, unfortunately. You know most that is known about Killer, so I cannot help you there. I have found information about two important entities in the multiverse named Ink and Error; they fight a lot. Nightmare is attempting to get Error to join him. That is as general as I can make it." 

"Thanks, Paps."

"No problem, brother! How are you feeling?"

"A lot better, actually. I think I could walk if I tried."

"That is wonderful news, brother!"

Before we could continue, Nightmare and Killer entered the room.

"Ah, you're awake." Nightmare pointed out.

"I shall tell you more later, brother." Papyrus said, moving to float around Nightmare's head.

"How'd ya sleep?" Killer wondered.

"Pretty good." I replied. Nightmares didn't really affect me anymore.

"That's odd. Usually the first time people sleep within a hundred mile radius of Nightmare, they get a nightmare."

"I never said I didn't have a nightmare. I just slept pretty good."

"I don't understand ya."

"Killer, try to be more polite." Nightmare scolded.

"It's all right. I don't understand me either." I grinned.

"It's good to hear you slept well. How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good. I could probably walk if I tried."

"Are you sure? You haven't even been here for more than a day, how is that possible?"

"Magic deficiencies can be easily cured with magic intake. It doesn't take long for them to heal, usually."

"If you don't mind my asking, how exactly did you get a magic deficiency? Aren't they rare?"

"You're talking about the ones from birth. Anybody can get a magic deficiency if they don't replenish their magic frequently, either by eating or other ways."

"I see."

"So how long do ya think it'll take ya to be ready for a test to see if you're worthy of joining us?" Killer questioned.

"Hard to say; at most, a couple days, at least, an hour." I returned.

"Take your time. If you need anything, just call." Nightmare said, leaving the room.

"Heal fast, kid." Killer ordered, following Nightmare out the door.

"So Paps, what is this test?" I wondered.

"Trial by combat. You will be fighting Killer." Papyrus replied.

"Got any tips or weaknesses?"

"I can go find out. Shall I do some research on Nightmare as well?"

"Couldn't hurt."

"Very well, I shall begin immediately."

"Thanks, Paps. You're the best."