48 - History

It had been quite a while since Ink was overthrown, and the multiverse was thriving. Universes could get help for any problems they had in a short time, crime was low, and there was nobody threatening livelihoods anywhere that wasn't caught. Nightmare had been successful in his dream of opening a school to teach new universes about the multiverse and its many facets, Error had grown nicely into his role as Guardian of the Multiverse, and my family was happy. We were genuinely happy. I liked it, and it seemed that everybody else did too. The last three years had been the most dynamic time in the history of the multiverse, and it was just getting better. Ink had been all but forgotten, which meant I didn't have to think about him as often; he was simply known as 'that old tyrant,' and he would have stayed that way if the monsters affected had anything to say about it. The ones he had made into guards suffered the worst from it, having seen and done horrible things under his leadership; most of them were still recovering. I was regarded as the most unfortunate party, having been literally tortured, but I really didn't want to be seen as special; at the end of the night, I was just another skeleton.

Speaking of me, I was currently in the living room. I had, over a lot of time, regained a bit of movement, and today was going to be a big day. I could move my arms pretty well and maneuver my skull like I used to, although slower, and I was ready to attempt walking. I was determined to do this, and with my family by my side, I was more than prepared. I had been in a wheelchair since my arms were mobile enough to support it, and I was sick of having to be pushed long distances; I wanted to walk.

"Okay, Dust." Nightmare was next to me. "You just take your time; no need to rush it."

"I know! I'm ready!" I assured.

"Oh boy, ya got this, Dusty!" Killer cheered.

"One step at a time!" Error reminded.

I grasped Nightmare's goopy hand tightly and began to stand; I hoped those exercises I did to strengthen the bones in my legs worked. Nightmare walked with me for a few steps before letting go; I stumbled for a moment before gaining a relative balance, took a step, and another, slowly, steadily. I was walking. I laughed as I walked; I loved this!

"Ya got i'!" Horror encouraged.

"Oh, I'm so proud of you, brother!" Papyrus smiled.

"Y-yay!" Cross was happy for me.

"About time." The kid was...less than enthusiastic.

"Just ignore the small kid, Dust." Chara snickered. "You're doing fine."

After I had gained a good amount of ground, I was hugged tightly by my family; this was what I wanted: everything was good. Everything was bright now; I would focus on that rather than the dark spots that had no doubt lain ahead. I took a photo of the occasion to remember it forever; we were happy, and I wanted it to stay that way forever.

That was about two years ago, and I had gotten much better at walking since then; I smiled as I looked at the picture, though - I kept that. It had been about five years since Ink was overthrown, and we couldn't have been happier. After I regained my ability to walk, the rest came naturally; I could fight, run, and even attend Nightmare's school - just because we were older did not mean we got out of school. He actually turned his house into the school, since it was so big, but we didn't mind; it was the place we started, after all. When a universe was made aware of the multiverse, they sent a representative (or several) to the school to gather the necessary information about the multiverse and learn customs, history, and even make friends, since that was obviously necessary. Some of the representatives chose to take quarters in the house, while others lived in their universe and made portals in; either way, they were welcomed.