Adapting to change...

After that incident, I knew where we were headed.

It wasn't a surprise since there were a couple of other kids who joined us, which I knew for a long time actually.

I don't talk to them now of course, considering where I am now but, it was fun knowing them.

Flashback to a younger Aly:

It had been a few weeks since we arrived at the orphanage. I had seen a professional about my arm, and I had to go through different procedures to help it heal. It was a lot on me, but I tried to push through so I'd make it out the other side.

Harumi didn't speak much, and I had to be her voice when we all did activities together or ate. That did make things difficult, and she developed a pretty sour attitude towards the carers. I hated to see her do this, but there wasn't much I or the carers could do about it. So we sort of had to deal with it.

But whenever she was alone with me, she was as close to her old self as she could be; She was still quiet and not showing a smile, but we still played all day until night fell.

But I hated things at night.

Harumi would often play roughly with her toys which I had saved from the fire. This woke me up and I witnessed her talking and playing with the toys as if they were real, and I seriously began to worry for her.

1 Year later:

Some time had passed when the day finally came.

Harumi had turned thirteen by now, but we looked the same age which became a small joke around the carers there. My arm still needed to be in bandages since it was taking longer to heal than we'd expected. From what I could see of it when my bandages were changed, is that I had a huge scar, which wasn't the prettiest to look at.

We spent a lot of time at the orphanage, but most were full of people looking to adopt a child. Harumi and I were often called the odd ones since we stayed together and away from the other kids. It was nice when it was just the two of us, but we did want to go somewhere else.

Luckily for us though, we had a small TV in our room which we would watch. Well, I would mostly watch it since the Ninja were the only thing on the news, which Rumi wasn't a fan of.

I however, loved watching their adventures from what Gayle Gossip informed the city about. They seemed like such great protectors and people that I'd do anything to meet them. But with everything that happened to them and myself, I knew that day would never come.

But on one faithful day, something unexpected happened.

An old couple, about in their mid-50s came to the orphanage. I figured they would brush past us like everyone else. But they didn't. I was especially intrigued when they spoke to us. "Hello dear. What's your name?" The woman came up to me and asked. "Uh, Aly." I told her, still confused. "And what is yours?" The man turned to Harumi, but she sat in the corner of her bed, turned away.

The couple eventually left and went to talk to a carer. "You know, you can talk to people." I sighed, walking over to Harumi's bed and sitting beside her. "I know that. It's just..." She was unsure what to say, and I understood that.

"Well, that couple was just like the rest of 'em, huh?" I smiled at her, thankfully making her laugh and crack a small smile. It didn't happen often, but when it did I made sure to cherish the moment.

About five minutes had passed when a carer came back to our room. "Aly, we have exciting news." She told me with a smile. I turned to her with a curious expression. "You've been adopted!"

I was speechless, and wondering if that was really happening. "Wait..." I called out to the carer just as she left. "Yes, Aly?" "Is Harumi coming with me?" I asked, hoping that the worst wouldn't happen. "Oh my sorry, sweetie." I heard a soothing voice come to the doorway, and I was surprised to see the couple from earlier. "We can't." The man sighed as they came to the door.

They were the ones who had adopted me.

I gingerly looked at Harumi before quietly packing my bag. I could tell she was trying to think of a solution so she wouldn't be alone, but she never said a word.

It didn't take me long to have my things packed and walk to the front desk. Harumi still hadn't spoken so I made the first move. "Can we still keep in touch with Harumi?" I asked my new parents. They looked to the carers then back to us. "Of course we can." My Mom smiled before turning to the desk.

Rumi's spirits seemed to be lifted for a few seconds, but it didn't last. I gestured for her to follow me so we could say goodbye. But it wouldn't be forever. I led her to the small couch while my parents were busy with paperwork.

We sat down, and Rumi began to talk. "Look, I-I..." She couldn't get the words out, and I gave her time to speak. "I just...don't wanna be alone." She stated, clearly trying not to cry. "Hey, look at me." I turned her towards me and placed a hand on her shoulder. "You won't be alone. I promise." I told her, just before she buried me in a sudden hug.

"Do you promise?" She asked once more, and I nodded. "I promise. And if you're going to keep it, you must be strong and know that I'll never forget you. Okay?" She whispered a yes into my ear, and we let go.

I suddenly remembered a small something I had made for her in my sketchbook and I pulled it out. I flipped through the pages, making sure Rumi couldn't see my Ninja sketches since I figured by this point that she hated them with a passion.

Once I found the drawing, I tore it out and gave it to my friend. "Close your eyes." I cheekily told her, and she did while holding out her hands. I placed the drawing in them and she gasped once she saw it.

The drawing was an updated version of a picture we had taken back when we were still happy. She, without warning, pulled me in for another hug and muttered the words "Thank you..."

"Aly, I'm sorry to have to do this but, it's time we go home now." My Dad spoke up, gesturing to the door while pushing up his glasses and taking my bag. "You gave them your number, right?" I asked him, hoping to stay in touch with Rumi for her sake. "Of course we did, darling." My Mom responded.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye Rumi..." I quietly sighed, looking down at my friend. "...For now." I smiled, making her laugh slightly.

We said our final goodbyes and I jumped into the car, on my way to start the first real chapter in my life.

18/09/2021