Chapter 13: Logan

Friends?

Indirectly, I think Ellie put me into the friendzone.

Off the top of my head, initially I guessed that I was okay with that.

No I'm not. Of course I'm not.

Short-term I knew I had to take whatever Ellie offered because from the moment 'my wife' and I were alone, she gave me a lot of mixed signals. Her presence also resurfaced some emotions I hadn't felt ready to deal with, namely how I felt after she broke up with me. Our first real talk included awkward pauses, moments where I held myself back from how much I wanted to kiss her, and painful reminders of the last time we'd spoken.

Ellie broke off our conversation with a reminder that she still needed to buy her books from the University Bookstore. Despite how I'd been here for a month, I actually hadn't explored much of campus and joined her.

After we shared which classes we took this quarter, we were both surprised when we found out that we actually shared one class together.

"Human Anatomy with Dr. Groves on Tuesdays and Thursdays?" Ellie stopped walking and stared up at me and I nodded. "That's crazy! How is that a class of yours?"

"I needed something for the natural science requirement." I shrugged. "My credits transferred but a lot of them have to be approved by the bioengineering department so they're sitting in general education."

My other three classes were all in the Bioengineering department - Biotransport I, Solid and Gel Mechanics, and Intro to Biology III. Since I'd already taken more than enough Calculus and Statistics courses at UCD, my advisor Dr. Chen approved my lighter course load this quarter. He'd wanted me to take some computer science department programming courses but I'd convinced him I better handled that once the season was done.

As a football player in a heavily STEM-field, within every first class, I got a lot of initial confusion from other students. Usually the attention died down once we got to the academics, but I expected some initial lag time here too.

I'll find out tomorrow.

"Do you remember much about UW?" Ellie's voice cut through my thoughts while her eyes scanned around campus with the same wistful, happy look I'd seen in them years ago when we'd toured here.

"I remember," I replied absently, then grinned down at her. "But that's not all I remember from our trip."

Her cheeks flushed a slight shade of pink at my unspoken reminder of when first we'd first had oral sex. The memory flooded all kinds of suggestive urges in my body, none of which were clean but all of them spread a wide grin across my face.

"Funny how it worked out though," I remarked once we started walking again. "Roommates, I meant."

A soft smile played on her full, pink lips. "Is this the part where I swoon that maybe it's fate?"

"I don't believe in fate," I replied in a low voice. "Although we had enough shit coincidence moments, maybe we're due for a positive one."

"Riiiiight," she teased. "Because it was all completely random, you had nothing to do with our current... situation."

I knew I'd pushed my luck in how she hadn't asked about that yet. I also hadn't asked the question that ran through my head, "And how would you describe that situation?"

"Umm..." Her lower lip tucked under and her eyes shifted downward in thought. Finally, she sighed and, when she spoke, her voice was quiet. "Confusing because you knew I was Charlie's roommate before you guys switched without me knowing."